Quote Originally Posted by pminmo
I'd like to eventually build a cnc mill mostly for aluminum, if possible would like it to be sturdy enought for mild steel small cuts. I'm probably totally out in left field, but am pondering, looking for input and if it's reasonable and ideas and concepts. This would be a dedicated workbench top machine. But would need to be able to be assembled and dissasembled to make a reasonable moving weight up and down stairs. Would consider concrete or lead to be able to add weight for dampening.
I have two 30" 1" Thompson rails with their support shafts and four of their companion open pillow block bearings.
I have two 43" 1 1/4" diameter Thompson rails unsupported, I am open on bearings for these.
I'm thinking I would have a frame welded of 3 or 4" square steel tubing, and plate. Secondary parallel steel plates that would be supported via heavy bolts and nuts to get these plates in alignment for the shafting supports.
Assuming I can pickup some decent shafting and bearings for Z, any thoughts on how to use the other two set of shafts and a frame arrangement?
I have been thinking of designs using 80/20 heavy duty, 1.5"x3"