587,854 active members*
5,166 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Hobby Projects > Steam and Stirling Engines > converting 4 stroke lawn mower to steam

Hybrid View

I haven't seen anyone do it this way. The standard ICE valves wouldn't seal tight enough, I don't think. Back in my hippy, Mother Earth News days, there were plans and even the parts to do this available. They did it by making a new cylinder head. The head used a shutle type valve and blocked off/sealed the original valves. The shuttle type valve is like a steam train uses.

The problem with using the original valves is they are made to seal when under pressure from the cylinder. With no pressure in the ports. Using it with steam or air, the intake valve is always going to fight the pressure, unless you use a heavy enough valve spring.

Have you seen this site? Lot of good info there. (ENGINE CONVERSION) Converting a two cyl. air compressor into a steam engine

Hi, thanks for info. This is just a first attempt to learn what is require. The BS motor had not worked in decades and was heading to the scrap pile, good enough for the learning experience. It looks like the boiler will be the real challenge.

I was looking at a monotube boiler project on youtube. It used a reservoir and a small pump to add water to the boiler. Still searching for boiler requirements to make it safe. Suggestions welcome

Hi, running better. Now I need a boiler.