587,193 active members*
3,187 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > Chinese motors crap or do i fail?

Chinese motors crap or do i fail?

I have uploaded a youtube video of what the motors are doing.

lololol - YouTube

I have been lingering in this forum for a couple months now, but I am new to this...I have spent the better part of the last week doing nothing but getting a good understanding for how the entire DB25->BB->Driver->Motor system works and how to get it to communicate with the software. I bought 2 'relatively' cheap sets off ebay. One with 3 nema's and a BB/Drivers(combined). And i also bought a set with a C10 Board and KL - 4030 Drivers. I got these merely to teach myself and they have done exactly that thus far.

The situation I am in at this point is, One motor seems to function properly. One motor only works one direction properly. and one just makes noise.

I have switched the motors to different drivers and the drivers to different Dir/Steps on the BB... The weird part is that no matter what. Some of the motors wont perform correctly. Even the one that I showed in the video that appeared to be working properly, when i switched the driver/motor to another step/dir, it started not to function properly.

Now This would lead anything with a brain to believe that the BB is the problem, but I just *****ed up a storm to the person who sent me the board until he sent me another one. I just got the brand new board, and I still have the same problems. So is my configuration wrong? Are these motors just not going to work with a different BB/Driver setup than the one that was provided in the kit?

Thanks for the help!

Ryan

C10 BB
    KL- 4030 Drivers
    Nema 23 stepper motor 270 oz.in,3A, bioplar
    Power Supply 350Watts( 24VDC/14.6A)

BB/Driver From:
    3 Axis Stepper Motor Driver 40V 3 0A | eBay
    Nema's/Power Supply From:
    ?US Ship Free Ship?Nema 23 Stepper Motor 270oz IN 3A 3 Axis Board Power CNC KIT | eBay

Personally I think you will find the motors are ok but the issue is with your driver and Mach3 settings.
    The links you have added to the EBay seller do not work but I can tell you that any setup that tries to run NEMA 23 motors on 24 volts is a recipe for poor performance. Fortunately you have KL-4030 drivers that can handle 40 volts so you will probably be ok. With need to know the model of the motors to work out specs and what voltage they idealy need to run.

Here is how I would approach your problem.

First reduce the acceleration and jog speed of each motor to a much lower value under motor tuning. Set all axis to the same settings here.
    I would tend to make the values half the value you have on the motor that is turning.
    This will probably get all motors turning.

The whining noise you are hearing is the result of resonance. The motor locks up and you are hearing the pulses with the motor acting like a speaker. The lower the voltage you have on your controller the lower the top usable speed you will get from your motors.

Try this simple change in mach3 first and let us know how you get on.

Cheers
    Peter
    The ingenuity of idiots is unlimited.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/cncnutz

Quote Originally Posted by P.Passuello View Post
    Personally I think you will find the motors are ok but the issue is with your driver and Mach3 settings.
    The links you have added to the EBay seller do not work but I can tell you that any setup that tries to run NEMA 23 motors on 24 volts is a recipe for poor performance. Fortunately you have KL-4030 drivers that can handle 40 volts so you will probably be ok. With need to know the model of the motors to work out specs and what voltage they idealy need to run.

Here is how I would approach your problem.

First reduce the acceleration and jog speed of each motor to a much lower value under motor tuning. Set all axis to the same settings here.
    I would tend to make the values half the value you have on the motor that is turning.
    This will probably get all motors turning.

The whining noise you are hearing is the result of resonance. The motor locks up and you are hearing the pulses with the motor acting like a speaker. The lower the voltage you have on your controller the lower the top usable speed you will get from your motors.

Try this simple change in mach3 first and let us know how you get on.

Cheers
    Peter
    what he said

Could be a weak parallel port. You might want to try increasing the pulse width, which can often help.

Also, motors sitting on a table are far more susceptible to resonance than if they were bolted to a machine. Even if you just mount them to a piece of wood, you might see better results.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Hi Ryan,

Sorry to hear you are still having issues with your setup.
    I had a look at the specs of your motors you posted above and it looks like 40 volts would be the ideal voltage to run them on. Don't get hung up on that at the moment but in the future you will be able upgrade the power supply to get maximum potential from them. 24 volts will still run them and will get you going.

The first obvious thing I can see is you have step and direction pulse times of 0.
    This should be set to a minimum of whatever the specs of your driver says it should be and I would be tempted to make it even larger.
    If you don't know what it is then set both to 20. It is probably far larger than needed but it will not be a problem and will be a good starting point.
    Next you have an acceleatation of 50.
    I don't know if this is inches or mm but if it is inches it is far to large. 50 inches a second is very fast indeed.
    If you are running mach 3 in inches them change this to 5 to start with and then worry about what it should be once you have the motors turning.

Do these 2 quick things and report back the results.
    You may have wiring errors or other things that prevent the 2 motors with issues from working correctly but it is wise to fix obvious issues before finding obscure ones.

Cheers
    Peter
    The ingenuity of idiots is unlimited.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/cncnutz

As I said before, increase the pulse widths. You have them at zero. Try setting them both to 10 or even 15. You can start with 5 and see if that's enough, though.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)