You could use a SmoothStepper and run it from a Laptop. Mach3 was "invented" based on using the Parallel port, and the control signals can be timed (with tricks) very well using the parallel port. The "whole" hobby level CNC arena is based on that foundation. Several years ago, some products started bridging the space to Paralle using a USB interface, the SmoothStepper being one of them (Home, I use one on my Mikini mill, and it works as advertised). There are more options every day, and eventually it will certainly replace the Parallel interface (it will have to as the Parallel interface is going away!). FWIW, Probotix sells a USB based controller and control software combo that you can get bundled with the V90 (for $99 I think). I have ZERO experience with it, and will stay with Mach until I switch to FlashCut... If money is a big issue, LinuxCNC (instead of Mach) may be the best route for you (aka EMC, but name has changed). I had problems with EMC a few years back when I was starting out and could never get it to work, but it has many happy users out there too.