587,982 active members*
4,256 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

shopbot cnc router info

Hello Fellow forum members. The company I work for is looking into the purchase of a second hand shopbot PRT96 cnc router manufactured in 2002. Owner says it has seen very little use. I am new to the cnc scene and would like some feedback on this machine and what to look at in general when shopping the used cnc router market.

The machine will be used mainly to cut and rout 1/4" and possibly 3/8" polypropylene sheet. We would also like the ability to use the machine as a cnc plasma.

Any assistance in this will be greatly appreciated.

try to offer 2500 ...
    it might worth that.. new price was about 5K or so..

to set on a plasma, a wellworking plasma cost you at least 3-4000 ... and shifting between tables still timeconsuming..

The shopbot cnc router i'm looking at is a 48 x 96 table. These were 5k new? He is asking more than the price of the system new if that's the case. This is a turn key cnc router with software.

it would open a bee nest to starting discussing how much a router worth..

he ask as he wants.. you accept, or don't accept.. that router, if it made in 2002 then it made of right angle cold rolled iron with bearings..
    it is up to you how much you feel it worth you..

you said you want use plasma.. a turnkey system is likely this..

SALE CNC Router Milling, CNC Laser, CNC plasma machine, China, Servo Motor Drive, UK, USA, Italy, Spain, Thailand

plasma and router.. it has a 5 kw spindle, and has water tray for plasmacutting.. its running on square rails versus a cold rolled right angle iron..
    they can add vactable if you request it..
    this is what called turnkey..

program you can buy 150 makes everything you need..
    for plasma need different, as program has to handling heightcontrol.. ie: plasma very sebnsitive for distance... as you cut metal is warping and changing the ""height""

but again its up to you what you like to buy..

I believe those were about $20,000 new.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Gerry

around 2000 there were not really router on the market.. as much I remember in 2001 or 2002 I saw it in a woodworker catalog.. and I remember it was likely 6000
    or less.. but it is my memory only..

on ebay is posted one..

Shopbot 4'x8' CNC Router Machine | eBay

I cant pull up anything,, it is just my memory..

it was under 10 in 2003..

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Durham.....-a0115041341

I have owned two shopbots. They are great machines. I still have one in my shop that I use. Not sure what they are asking but just to give you some reference. I just sold my 48x96 PRT Alpha turn key with vac system for $6000. That is just a reference. Depending on what this machine has for a spindle and what accessorys it has with vary the price. Please PM me if you have questions of visit the Shopbot forum. They can help you out.

John

Thanks for the info. I have registered on the Shopbot forum but have not received my login info yet. The machine im looking at comes with everything but the actual router.

When looking at a used machine, what wear parts should I look at just to make sure that I don't have to put in more money on top of the initial investment that may bring me close to the price of a new system?

Are there any parts on your machines that you needed to replace?

You will most certain want to replace the pinion gears. This is a $50-$60 investment that you will want to do. Check the rails where the v bearings roll on. You want to make sure they are not gauged in anyway. A little bit of surface rust is ok. This can be sanded off in minutes. As for not having a router, that is something you will have to figure out. They came from the factory with either a Porter Cable router or Columbo spindle.

ruben

before you make decision, try to get familiar about difference between the old design of shopbot and the new one..
    the first years shopbot made different designs..
    what you see today on their site that's a way better design made of better parts..

ted hall made an incredible work to creating shopbot as a one person business..

the new control on shopbot closed loop stepper.. while the old design, on the 2002 machine is an open loop system..
    I don't have shopbot, I just try to call your attention for details..
    also if you were looking for a used one, then possible the price and later occurring plus expenses are important for you..

if you want to change the control that might cost extra thoushands for you..

possible this was the reason john (Jzarski) upgraded from shopbot to Omni..

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/chines...ml#post1340912

a Colombo spindle a great value.. however cost several times more than a Chinese.. and customer wont pay more for a product just because you have a more costly spindle attached on your router..

Just to clearify I still have a Shopbot. And yes I did buy a Omni. I would buy another Shopbot or another Omni. Shopbots are great cnc machines. You can't go wrong with one. The community on the Shopbot forum is amazing. They are easy to work on if it where to break. As for there software, it is in my option the easiest cnc control software on the market. With that said I do prefer Mach3, for the reason of my other machines run Mach.

john

there was no point about shopbot is good or not good..
    ruben looking for a used shopbot.. by this possible a new one for 20K too much expense him..

your Omni possible with hiwin rails and spindle and with a stronger base costed like shopbot without spindle.. just barely the basic machine..

and your decision also was based on cost..

shopbot is great.. it just too expenses..

ruben will buy an old shopbot and any part he need he will pay the new part price..

with other words ruben can ending up 10K to buying a used shopbot..

just check prices....

your 3 or 4 kw spindle with inverter cost max $600
    a 3 kw Colombo 3-4000 plus inverter cost..

owners of old shopbots whant to upgrade to the new control.... because that is faster... how much a new control? 3000? or more?

it is not about good.... it is not abouit it is worth...

it is simply expenses... just tell ruben you purchased Omni because it cost less
    tell ruben what is the different between your hiwin rails and the shopbot rails..
    you have both machine..