587,770 active members*
3,084 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > VF-0 SPINDLE DRIVE GPD 503 INSTALL
Page 1 of 2 12

VF-0 SPINDLE DRIVE GPD 503 INSTALL

I have an older HAAS VF-0 VMC (1994) with a Magnetek GPD 503 DS307 spindle drive (currently removed) that I just had refurbished. the guy that removed it for me left no labels or markings on the wires to correspond with the drive ports and is no longer available to re-install it.:drowning: I've looked at the machine service manual diagrams and the Magnetek manual and cant figure out what goes where. The 3 T's and 3 L's are easy but all the others I cant come to any certainty on. If anyone knows, or has the same drive and could take a peek I could really use the help. Thanks in advance I really appreciate it!

Here's a list of what the wires DO say:

B2 TO R1 (BLACK)
    B1 TO R1 (BLACK)
    721 #13 (RED)
    722 #17 (BLACK)
    730B MOTIF P22 SPINDLE DR (ONE RED & ONE BLACK)
    730 SP DRIVE KBIF P4 (RED, BLACK & GREEN)
    500 OVERHEAT AT SP DR (RED, BLACK & GREEN)
    400 SP DRIVE SP MOTOR (RED, BLACK & GREEN)
    780 IOPCB P21 SPINDLE DR (RED, WHITE, BLACK & GREEN)
    710 F/R/RES SP DRIVE (RED, WHITE, BLACK & GREEN)

Here's a list of available spots on the drive:
    1 through 22
    25 through 27
    B1+
    B1-
    B2

KMFMachining

B1 & B2 is for the Braking resistor , which you should be able to trace on the machine quite easy, the other numbers you should contact Haas to get the correct placement of your wires
    here is the manual if you don't have one, this may help you some
    Mactec54

Thank you mactec. My machine has only 2 "B" wires and the drive has 3 spots. Is one spot left empty? Maybe the "B1-"? I spoke to a HAAS tech and he e-mailed me a page with a diagram from a 1997 HAAS HL series service manual. The diagram showed me very clearly where about half of the wires go. Ill try to attach that page on here. Attachment 200532

So what I can tell from this diagram is:

13-721
    17-722
    1-711
    2-712 and so on. I still have the 500's, the 400's, and others I cant tell where they connect.
    Do some spots on the drive have multiple wires attached? I'll try to get more info From the HAAS tech, wanted to post an update here as well.

I have a '97 VF-0E however mine's got a mitsubishi VFD but maybe we can identify cable number and label in VFD and hope to get a clue.

KVNVFO

Only B1 B2 to be used for the braking resistor
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Braking Resistor.PNG  
    Mactec54

Ok that clears up the B's. Thanks again mactec. Were getting closer a couple wires at a time and that's progress!

Leix does your machine have the same labels on the wires as mine (listed in my original post)? Like "500" , "400" , "720" "730B" and so on? Do any spots on your drive have multiple wires attached? Im thinking maybe the "730" wires might go together with the "730B". Maybe one is for monitoring the other? Anyone with some insight on any part of this please chime in.

OK I got an update already; The HAAS tech finally called me back (they had a power outage today and suffered in the heat all day). They are going to e-mail me another diagram that should clear up the remaining mysteries, hopefully, and I should get it tomorrow when they have power for their computers restored. Till then....

Hey, let me check tomorrow on the machine, and i'll tell.

Thanks leix. although I may have what I need now; The HAAS tech sent me a list/drawing this morning, ill attach it here...Attachment 200734

Im workin till this evening so I wont know if anythings missing or not till then. It looks like it should just about cover it.

When I get this thing up and running I'm thinking about getting something smaller instead. A smaller one would take up less room in my garage, probly run on 220v and not need the phase converter. Does anyone know of a good Mini VMC? With actual servo motors?

Hey, didn't see your post, i've just listed the wires as the haas tech did. I'm kind of a mess and forgot the paper in the shop...

No prob, I have everything but the 780's hooked up right now according to the drawing. The question I still have though is where do the larger green wires go? Im pretty sure theyre ground wires but do all of them go to that screw on the bottom left of the drive body? theres about 5 of them. one comes from the T's, one goes up to the grounding block in the top of the cabinet, and the other 3 come from different cables (500, 730 & 400).

I recall no "big" green wires besides the ones in the terminal block down the drive (ground, phase 1 2 and 3). Crappy picture, i noted all the small wires located in the side of the drive.

Oh I think the Mitsubishi (what you have) is a bit different from the Magnetek (what I have). I think the drive ports are labeled differently.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PART_1379198706350.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	40.6 KB 
ID:	200880

It looks like the drawing lists them both though. When you get your paper I should be able to verify everything, except maybe the larger green wires yours doesn't have.

KVNVFO

If you have a meter, you can check the Green wires to see, that they do go to ground, if they all do, you can put them all together on the one Ground point screw
    Mactec54

I don't see any wire labeled 785 for spot 27 (like the drawing shows) and there are only 4 wires in cable 780 (781, 782, 783 & 784) so im assuming my machine has no wire #785. I grounded all the larger green wires remaining, powered machine up, got "EF3" fault. Stands for "External fault signal at terminal 3". 3 is wired according to the drawing with wire 501 (spindle overheat) So im trying to figure out whats wrong here. Is it a wire position problem or a problem elsewhere in the machine?

KVNVFO

781 20 B
    785 27 SE

They are saying to jumper terminal 20 to 27, the 785 may just be the jumper wire
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wiring Drive.PNG  
    Mactec54

There you go, seems that 781 and 785 must be connected together, however, i found no jumper wire in those spots, either my machine has no jumper between 781 and 785 or the jumper is not located in the terminal block (most provable thing) and is located elsewhere arround the machine.

Thank you leix I appreciate that. Im going to use that drawing to verify things and make any necessary corrections.

I couldn't get the EF3 fault to go away so ended up disconnecting the single red wire from spot 3 on the drive. The Fault went away but now I have no spindle overheat sensor hooked up. Not completely comfortable with that but what can I do? Ill try to figure it out in the mean time. Also my control has no actual RPM readout so I'm not sure if the spindle is spinning the actual speed as commanded. I could probly do a low speed test by eye and count passes with a piece of tape or something. Maybe borrow a lazer rpm reader. My spindle load sensor goes up to 100% at just 2000 RPM and up a little further at 3000 RPM. I don't remember if that was normal before or not.

Any input much appreciated

That sounds really odd, don't quote me on that but load meter should be way below 50% at those speeds... Theoretically the load meter is just an amp meter, so... either your spindle is drawing a 100% of it's rated HP just by cutting air or there's yet another messy wire there...

I won't be playing much with the machine, no overheat sensor, and a crazy load meter is a fancy way to end up frying your spindle. Double check power wires and spindle motor coils, may have something causing a massive current draw.

Page 1 of 2 12