Well - my taxes are done. It's a matter of time before the ball screws are ordered - probably about 2-3 weeks (tax refund in hand).

Not having the actual screws on hand is slowing down progress on the motor mounts as there are some differences in the shank of the screw. These differences would not effect a standard installation, but I am supporting the screws on both sides of the drive pulleys and therefore holding on a surface that is not used for the standard installation (for the table). Confused? Me too.... (nuts) I have to get the screws and then grind one diameter down just a bit to accept a support bearing (not thrust).

At this point, I am still planning to use the 'universal' yoke that is supplied with most kits. They all seem to be the same, or at least equivalent. I still can not locate a HD version - Elrod is out and it doesn't sound like they will be back in production any time soon - if at all. It sounds like that era has ended. Someone should think about picking up the pieces and bringing back a HD nut bracket for BP and clone mills....

The players for a complete ball screw kit are: (pricing as of Jan, 2006)

Rockford - replied first, sell through Motion Industries. I believe they are rolled only. Did not pursue pricing as they are sold through McMaster.

McMaster (Rockford screws) - $650, rolled screw kit with universal yoke

Hiwin - called, spoke to Jason in Eng - excellent customer service, excellently priced kit - ground screws - buy direct from factory. Temporarily out of stock as of a few weeks ago. Right now - these are the screws of choice. Comes with a universal yoke but no thrust bearings. Under $1000 - for ground screws!

Elrod - called, friendly service - ground screws with universal yoke, but no HD yokes available - may not ever be available again from Elrod. A bit pricey. Elrod's screws are made by Hiwin! No bearings. $1525.00

Nook - never replied

Roton - never replied

Wedin - never replied

Hiwin it is for me. I will keep everyone posted - likely in a new thread as I have noticed that it is sometimes difficult for me (and others, I am sure) to locate info buried in obscurely titled threads - such as this one....

Jury is still out on the bearings - research continues. I still need to post the info about deflection and backlash. The bottom line is that the stock BP thrust bearing mount flexes under load - before the gib lock lets go. I have the torque values on these points. The mount flexes almost as much or more than the bearings have lash. A very surprising find as I have never heard anyone discuss this possibility before. It is there, and it is fairly substantial in a super-precision way of thinking.

I will post up the test procedure with photos and the data when time permits. I still have not compiled the data. Time is not being nice to me these days!

:wave:

Scott