587,735 active members*
2,708 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 10 of 88 891011122060

Wonderful Job Joe

Joe:
    I just took a run through of your Edrawing files.FANTASTIC :cheers:
    How much would you charge for a set of DFX files? You may contact me privately if you wish.
    Regards Bob
    I am going tommorow for an all day scavenger hunt for parts for a 4' x 8' CNC router table project. :banana: The sooner I can get a set of workable plans the sooner I can launch my project.

I would also be interested in the DFX files if they became available for charge or otherwise.
    Take it easy.
    Jay (www.cncjay.com)

Just like to echo the interest in DFX plans. We have been thinking about building a smaller machine for small projects (have a lot of left over parts from our first machine), and I think your design is the best.

send me an e-mail : joe(at)lumenlab.com

Quote Originally Posted by joe2000che
    send me an e-mail : joe(at)lumenlab.com
    that email must be down it has not worked all day, try joecnc2006(at)yahoo.com

Hi Joe,
    What would be the optimum (or your preferred) stepper motor and driver for your build be? Also, what would be the largest dia. threaded rod size be? I hope you kit is available soon!

Quote Originally Posted by cornfed
    Hi Joe,
    What would be the optimum (or your preferred) stepper motor and driver for your build be? Also, what would be the largest dia. threaded rod size be? I hope you kit is available soon!
    the HobbyCNC kit works well on my heavier machine so on this one which is 1/3 the weight it will be just fine, I would stay with 1/2" leadscrews, i use 10tpi, you can get less tpi in same dia. such as two start 5tpi which will double the speed, however the 1/2-10 works fine at 80ipm now. looking at the machine i do not want to go faster myself, because of holes and such, it is smooth to me at 80ipm. which is alot faster than alot of DIY wood machine i seeing built, including my earlier machines.

Joe

Metric Users

Hi Joe,

I have to say well done. it does look good.

I have allways planned to use my first machine to cut parts for the second. I am going to start the learing by cutting the replacement parts I stuffed while building my JGRO, like the Y carrage and Z carrage.

But I have to say you machine looks the business. I am very tempted to start working on you design straight away. But with money and all that, its is not going to happen.

But then I realised that us metic users will have to modify your plans a little. From what I have read you are using 1/2" MDF which is 12.7 mm here. What I am wondering is if the 12mm MDF here (in Aus or any other metric contry) is actually 12mm or is it 1/2 re-named to 12mm (so it is actually 12.7mm). If it is 12.0 mm, that means all those wonderfull slots in the torsion box will have to be reworked just bit for metric timber, so we get a nice tight fit.

Is anyone in a postion to get an accurate thickness on some 12mm MDF here in Aus? (i am at work). If not I will measure some when I get home.

But well done. I didnt see your second design, but this one looks great.

Can I ask why you didnt go the big form factor pipe (100mm or so) that other people have done? When is was glued to the torsion box it *seemed* that it would add a bit of strengh?

(sorry if its stupid question I know SQWAT about design)

CH

the 1/2" MDF measures just shy of 1.3cm... so 1.27cm = 12.7mm so i would say its the same thickness..

Hey Joe,
    What is the largest size material (length x width x height) that you can run safely on your machine? Got my kit ready yet?

I'm pretty sure your 12MM mdf is 12mm. We've had both 1/2" and 12mm in our shop before.

As for the large pipe, I haven't seen anyone use 4" pipe (100mm). Also, it's very likely that the torsion box would be much stiffer than the pipe, so gluing it in wouldn't add much strength imo.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

the machine travel is 25x49x7.

I agree with Ger21, gluing the pipes will not make a difference.

Joe

Your plans look great, it makes me really excited to start making parts for a new machine. Do you have any sort of assembly instructions? I'm sure we can figure it out, but I thought I would ask before we plow right into building.

Quote Originally Posted by jdbaker
    Your plans look great, it makes me really excited to start making parts for a new machine. Do you have any sort of assembly instructions? I'm sure we can figure it out, but I thought I would ask before we plow right into building.
    I will see if i can do an exploded view in solidworks. just have to learn how..

Here is a quick Hardware list if additional parts that will need to be obtained for the build, and also I Used the HobbyCNC.com 200oz 3 axis cnc kit to run at 80ipm.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Putting this together in my spare time is taking a little longer than anticipated.
    I thought I would show a picture of the Bearing slide adjustment nuts (5/16") which are installed to pull the bearings up snug against the rails at the top of the Z Axis carrage and the right side of the gantry. And here is a picture of the gantry (weight is 53.5lbs as compaired to 75lbs of the 1st one).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails X Axis Bearing Adjustment Nuts.JPG   Y Axis Bearing Adjustment Nuts.JPG   Gantry1.JPG  

Smile

This is looking very good Joe.

Got all the Bearing slides made and installed, also took pictures of the bearing slide adjusters, on the rt. side of the gantry and also for the Y axis bearing inside the Z Axis cariage as shown on the top. You can also see the 38" length of 4-1/4" threaded rod running through the gantry torsion box.

Two or three more evenings i will be finished with it, this one hass all new parts none used from my other machine. I am also keeping track of sizes of all the bolts, washers and nuts needed.

Edit: The adjustment Bolts are 5/16"x 2.5" on the Side of the Gantry and 5/16"x2" on the top of the Carriage slide.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails X Axis Bearings Installed.JPG   X Axis Bearing Adjusters.JPG   Y Axis Bearing Adjusters.JPG  

Joe,
    I am a complete newbie. (Look, I am on post #1.) But I must say this looks like very nice work to me. I really like the documentation I have seen online so far. If I can manage to trudge my way through CAD and the next steps of the computer side, I may build a CNC router. Of all the designs, this one sure looks like it may do what I want and be with in my building skills. I do not have access to a CNC to cut the parts, so I would either be cutting by traditional means or be a customer.

Thanks for sharing your work. It has given me a nice surfing dream to add to wood working hobby.

Dale

Quote Originally Posted by tinygiants
    Joe,
    I am a complete newbie. (Look, I am on post #1.) But I must say this looks like very nice work to me. I really like the documentation I have seen online so far. If I can manage to trudge my way through CAD and the next steps of the computer side, I may build a CNC router. Of all the designs, this one sure looks like it may do what I want and be with in my building skills. I do not have access to a CNC to cut the parts, so I would either be cutting by traditional means or be a customer.

Thanks for sharing your work. It has given me a nice surfing dream to add to wood working hobby.

Dale
    Some people have asked for a kit that would not be all the MDF pieces cut but a part of each or the ribs for instance, in which they would use it as a template and produce their own parts from. (this would only be possible for the torsion boxes)

Page 10 of 88 891011122060