588,098 active members*
5,106 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Mini Lathe Stand

I just ordered the Cummins 7X12 mini lathe and was going to build a stand for it and started wondering how high I should make it? And if there was anything else that would be handy to add to a stand for a mini lathe?
    Take it easy.
    Jay (www.cncjay.com)

I made my bench the height of my Elbow when I'm standing. Works for me. There is a big drawer under the bench top which I find really handy. I made it strong as it is full of heavy stuff.

http://www.wrathall.com/Images/120_2080.jpg
    Regards,
    Mark

Thanks for the info Mark. Is there anything you'd change or add now that you'd made it? I never know if I should make stands with a ton of table top space or if that just overkill.

Thanks again and Bis Später,
    Jay

when i got my lathe i got lucky someone was redoing thier kitchen so i got the cabinets .....7 drawers for tools/ect and 2 large cabinets so plenty of storage and good and strong

Jay,

My bench was made to fit the space available (very little). It would be perfect if I didn't have the vise on there also.

I build it of 4x4's screwed and glued, with sheets of 3/4" custom wood glued and screwed to three sides of the base. The top is an offcut of kitchen bench from a hardware store. It is very rigid and stable. I hate wobbly benches.
    Regards,
    Mark