587,161 active members*
2,968 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > Setting up a VF machine with the Swarf Tube directed to the front instead of the side

Setting up a VF machine with the Swarf Tube directed to the front instead of the side

Good Morning

Has anyone ever tried to redirect the swarf exit tube to the front? We are looking at putting another machine in our very small shop and it would be much easier if we could regain some of the width of the machine by doing this. The 20 to 24" that might be gained would make it easier to put this new machine in.

Thanks in advance

Lowell

The screw does not enter the tube far enough to hit anything, but just maintain an up angle to allow the coolant to drain down before the chips come out.

Mike
    Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

If you are going to put another that close, you better have a lot of room in the back to get the coolant tank out and cleaned!!!!!

Mike
    Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

Mike, Good point on the coolant tank, I do believe that you can still gain space by reorienting the Swarf tub because it blocks a passage way between machines. I have hopes that someone else has done this and can share their experience. I can't be the only tiny shop out there.

Thanks
    Lowell

Quote Originally Posted by lkenney View Post
    Mike, Good point on the coolant tank, I do believe that you can still gain space by reorienting the Swarf tub because it blocks a passage way between machines. I have hopes that someone else has done this and can share their experience. I can't be the only tiny shop out there.

Thanks
    Lowell
    It depends on if you are talking about clocking the chip chute (Swarf tube) or if you are talking about completely redirecting it like 90 degrees.

I have seen many people clock the chip chute but never redirect.

I am talking about redirection the swarf tube so that instead of sticking out the side of the machine 30 some inches, it would make a 90 degree turn to the front and open that space between machines or the wall. In my setup it will make a difference in having to shovel the swarf or have the machine barf it out the front into a cart.

I am talking about redirection the swarf tube so that instead of sticking out the side of the machine 30 some inches, it would make a 90 degree turn to the front and open that space between machines or the wall. In my setup it will make a difference in having to shovel the swarf or have the machine barf it out the front into a cart.
    45 deg only, or you will dump the coolant on the floor!

Mike

Correct 45 degrees approx. from the floor to the tube but turning the Swarf Tube 90 degrees so that it runs parallel with the side of the machine, the swarf cart would sit in front of the front of the machine. I am sure we would have to make a custom elbow from sheet metal to do this.

Lowell

Correct 45 degrees approx. from the floor to the tube but turning the Swarf Tube 90 degrees so that it runs parallel with the side of the machine, the swarf cart would sit in front of the front of the machine. I am sure we would have to make a custom elbow from sheet metal to do this.

Lowell
    Sorry, but it is 45 deg or nothing. If you turn it 90 degrees, it will point straight forward and you will loose your coolant. 90 Degs from vertical is dumping your coolant.

Mike

Mike, I understand that the swarf tube must be at least 45 degrees in the vertical and I would keep it that way but instead of it pointing straight out the side of the machine, I need to turn it so that the swarf exits to the front of the machine. It would still come out of the enclosure the same way but then it would turn to the front of the machine. Coolant would still drain down as it does now. If we plump the exit tube elbow correctly it should not lose any more coolant than it does now. The whole idea is to make the machine shorter (take less space) when looking at it from the front.

Thanks
    Lowell

However you wish to word it. Just don't plump the tube too much or it will look pregnant! :banana:

mike

Lowell
    The trick will be getting the elbow you want while keeping the chips moving up in the proper direction without packing into the new tube causing everything to jam.

Interested to see what you come up with. Be sure to post some pictures and commentary on how it works.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by haastec View Post
    The trick will be getting the elbow you want while keeping the chips moving up in the proper direction without packing into the new tube causing everything to jam.

Interested to see what you come up with. Be sure to post some pictures and commentary on how it works.

Good luck.
    It will be a couple of months but thanks to all for the advise.

Lowell

Seems like it would be pretty easy to just use a 90* mandrel bend. They make thin wall mild or stainless at least up to 6-7". That way the chips would move smoothly. If I still had a VF-2, I'd fab one up for you!