587,147 active members*
5,509 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > Can I use these power supply's for a small cnc-router? Omron

Can I use these power supply's for a small cnc-router? Omron

Hi.
    Im starting a small Solsylva 9x10 cnc router. Yesterday I found four working power supply's in the trash, and I was wondering if I could use these in my machine. They are called Omron S8VS-12024BP. And from what I can understand they are 120w 24v and 5amp. The motor and controllers I have been looking into are hobby cnc pro and xylotex (but very open to suggestions). I tested all four power supply's and they work. They even have a knob for varying the voltage out. It varied from about 18v to 30v with no load.

Would these power supply's work? If one is too weak, could I use one for each motor? I don't know much about electricity (hoping to learn by doing this).

Datasheet:
    http://www.ia.omron.com/data_pdf/dat..._ds_csm141.pdf

Thanks

I guess not.

You have not provided any information about the stepper motors that you are planning to use. In general, people are indeed using switching power supplies for CNC machines in the voltage and current range that you mentioned, and the driver boards that you mentioned should handle the voltage and current ranges that you have described.

Whether you could use an individual power supply for each motor would depend on the characteristics of your stepper motor driver(s). Generally, you can easily do that if you have a separate driver for each motor. When you have a single driver that supports multiple motors it becomes more difficult to do that (it may require modification of circuit board traces to accomplish), but it may still be do-able.

Doorknob, thanks for the reply! I had discarded using these because I read in the manual they could not be wired in parallel. I never thought of using single drives though! I did not mention what motors I would be using, because I don't know yet The solsylva 9x10 is a small machine, and I will be using standard threaded rod to begin with. I was thinking of the 205oz kit from hobbycnc. I like the hobbycnc board because I have to solder it myself, which would be a fun challenge and learning experience However, it would be a shame to not find a good use for these power supply's. They are about $300+ each, so It was a nice find! Do you have any tips on good single drive setups? I would need a break out board of some sort to connect three drives to one computer then right? But with a single drive I just need that one board? Seems I can find single power supply's with enough power quite cheap, but I am open to suggestions! I like the idea of using stuff I find! Altering circuit boards are way beyond me though.

I'm currently working on the mechanical parts. I built the trucks and cut most of the materials. I will try assembly this weekend I think. Sooo many challenges! So far my sloppiness and lack of fancy tools are the bigges challenge Not a single perfect square cut so far haha!

If you're looking for a unipolar motor driver with an individual driver per axis, you might want to look at the Linistepper V2.

It comes as a kit. You can buy a set of three drivers for a discounted price.

See PIC Linear Stepper Motor Controller and Linistepper V2 Build Instructions

I have one of them, and I'm building up a second one. Planning to use them in a CNC conversion of my mini lathe.

And yes, you would need to get a suitable breakout board.

I rather than a panasonic step motor for that .