587,112 active members*
3,257 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > CNC Machine Related Electronics > 110v connection to power supplies
Page 1 of 2 12

110v connection to power supplies

This is yet another thread about undocumented wiring for power supplies, BOBs, and stepper drivers. I have DM542 stepper drivers, a DB25-1502 BOB, a 36v power supply, and a 5v power supply. The power supplies can use either 220vac or 110vac. I'm planning on using 110vac initially. I've found enough info online to wire everything except what should be the simplest, the 110vac input. The power supplies have 3 input terminals: L, N, and Earth. The question is does the 110vac ground get connected to the Earth terminal on both power supplies? Should the Earth terminals on both power supplies (and ground on the BOB) be directly connected?

I'm also using shielded wire between the BOB and the steppers, where should the shield be connected?

All 120vac ground terminals should be connected preferably to a central star point where all other machine grounds terminate also, including shields.
    Whether you ground the DC common side of P.S.'s is up to personal preference.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Thanks, there's way too many conflicting wiring diagrams for these. It would really help if the manufacturer would include or make available even a little documention.

Quote Originally Posted by elfrench View Post
    Thanks, there's way too many conflicting wiring diagrams for these. It would really help if the manufacturer would include or make available even a little documention.
    This is one problem of self built systems put together from all different suppliers, not only do individual item suppliers not know what else is going to be integrated and even the type of machine, but they tend to err on the side of safety and this is the reason that often the recommended approach is to isolate everything, this way it absolves them to a certain degree of their product causing any drastic problems.
    Al.

Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by elfrench View Post
    The power supplies can use either 220vac or 110vac. I'm planning on using 110vac initially.

I'm also using shielded wire between the BOB and the steppers, where should the shield be connected?
    This is a big mistake to think that your power supplies can be wired 220Vac or 110vac

In your case you can only use them as 110v ac in the USA, & other countries that use 110V ac for single phase, so make sure the switch is in the 110v position

For your shields they should be Grounded at the source, so this means, you Ground them at the Breakout Board end, to a common point, ( Star Ground/Point ) if you have a aluminum mounting plate, that everything is mounted on, that has a main Ground on it, they can be attached to this with a Ground Stud
    Mactec54

QUOTE=elfrench;1374910]The power supplies have 3 input terminals: L, N, and Earth. The question is does the 110vac ground get connected to the Earth terminal on both power supplies?[/QUOTE]

If the power supplies are rated for either 120v or 220, then in N.A. you have the option of either.
    In N.A, when using 240v then the term N can be ignored, and the two hots for the 240 are connected to L & N. the earth ground should always be connected.
    No neutral involved, this is only for countries that only have 240v and Neutral.
    Al.

Albert E.

Al_The_Man

Al we have had this discussion before, they do not run on 220V,NA single phase, they go into a protection mode when connected to 220v NA single phase, basically they shut down, but still have a very low output, I have had to deal with it many times, when someone does this, with this type of power supply
    Mactec54

What make/type are you referring to, in 45 yrs of industrial electronics I have never run into this problem,??
    And I would like to know the reason why/how they differentiate between the two supply voltages of N.A. and The rest of the world.?
    Are you talking about the ones you supply? Because it appears to be just one make so far?
    Al.

Albert E.

Most of the Chinese power supplies have this same protection, Not just the one's we use, how they are doing it, I have never had the need or time to look into it to see why, all I know is they do not work on 220V NA single phase, & are just for 110V NA single Phase

There is a zone member that used to design them,so may be he knows what they are doing
    Mactec54

But the OP mentions it is rated for 120 or 220v?
    I would imagine this is to enable usage in different parts of the world, just as PC power supplies have the 120/240 volt switch?
    If the Chinese ones are rated at 110/220v, where do they work on 220v?
    220v 1ph in N.A. is the same as 220v 1ph anywhere else?
    Al.

Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Al_The_Man

Al we have had this discussion before, they do not run on 220V,NA single phase, they go into a protection mode when connected to 220v NA single phase, basically they shut down, but still have a very low output, I have had to deal with it many times, when someone does this, with this type of power supply
    You're obviously wiring it wrong, you need to connect it to two phase.

edit: double post...

wklaserliu Guest
    hi

here Chinese machien when poduce it is ok for 110v and 220v also, and also will put matched plug, dear when our mahcine dleievr we will put match plug .

[email protected]

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	factory  074.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	112.2 KB 
ID:	207562

wklaserliu

We are not talking about machines, we are talking about switching power supplies
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by xjdubber View Post
    You're obviously wiring it wrong, you need to connect it to two phase.
    It's very difficult to wire these switching power supply wrong, L/N/G we sell & install hundreds of them

Were do you get your two phase from in CA ???
    Mactec54

Unfortunately Most of the confusion comes from labeling them L & N, many do not understand that in the case of 220 this applies to non-N.A. users, when used in N.A. the L & N applies to 240v L1 L2 as electrically there is no difference between the two 220v supplies, just that in other parts of the world, one of them is grounded as a neutral.
    This applies where the P.S. input is dual voltage.
    Al. .

Albert E.

I have two Chinese Power supplies, the both have switches inside to select voltage 220 or 110. If I had to guess I would say L stands for "Live" N stands for Neutral and Earth is ground. Can you see inside the covers. I found the switches on mine with a flashlight and both are close enough to be switched without opening the covers.
    Hope this is of some help

Quote Originally Posted by 40fordcoupe View Post
    If I had to guess I would say L stands for "Live" N stands for Neutral and Earth is ground.
    True, but in N.A. using 240v the L & N would translate to L1 & L2, in this case it does not matter which.
    Al.

Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    True, but in N.A. using 240v the L & N would translate to L1 & L2, in this case it does not matter which.
    Al.
    You are correct I thought that he said in the first post he wanted 110 Volts. Also I am going to make another guess if one was wanted 220/240 wouldn't it still be single phase? Just two legs not two phases. It has been a long time ago since I did any of this stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by 40fordcoupe View Post
    Also I am going to make another guess if one was wanted 220/240 wouldn't it still be single phase?
    Correct, in N.A. residential 240v is derived from a 1 ph transformer secondary, in most other parts of the world it is one phase and a star Neutral of a 3ph transformer.
    Even if it is derived from two phases it is still 1phase at that point, without the neutral being used or referenced to.
    Al.

Albert E.

Page 1 of 2 12