587,614 active members*
3,720 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > Hi guys I'm about to drill inconell 725

Hi guys I'm about to drill inconell 725

It's 3mn drill and a cross hole I'm going to use live tooling in a pecking cycle 10mm deep, what's the best drill for this type of operation any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Coolant though spindle or not?

Also, you mention a cross hole. What is the configuration of this hole then? Does the Ø 3mm x 10mm hole cross through a hole of larger or smaller diameter, or is there a hole that crosses through this after it's done?

It will be breaking through in to a larger hole (bore)

Using Tapatalk

Non through coolant

Using Tapatalk

Depending upon how many holes you have to do, how much time you have, and how much budget you have you can use either a coated HSS-Co drill or a solid carbide non-coolant fed drill.

If you go to the Walter USA website, fire up the "GPS" software and enter in your parameters. The first thing it asks for is material. I typed in "Inconel" in the search line, but it didn't list 725 so I chose the softer version of 718. They are very close in machinability. In the header of the listed drills, there is a blue icon which will display "type of cooling" when you pass your mouse or pointing device over it. Click on the little drop-down thing next to the blue icon and filter for "External" coolant drills only.

You should come up with an A1549TFP-3 (TiAlN coated tip) HSS-Co drill. A number of other drills will show, but I know that one to be the best choice among the parabolic flute coated HSS-Co drills. I don't know why the non-coolant type solid carbide wouldn't show, but an A3279XPL-3 (full ACrN coated flutes) is a 3xD drill like that which would also work. It's got more flute than just 3xD.

If you go with one of those for longer life and higher speeds and feeds (albeit at higher cost), run it at 65sfm and .0024" ipr. Peck cycle should be first peck at 2xD and 1xD thereafter with either style of drill.

Best of luck!

That's great advice thanks ill give it a go

Using Tapatalk

BTW, if you would go to the Walter site and fire up the GPS application, follow the instructions I gave you and highlight the drill I recommended you can then click on the various tabs to get speeds, feeds, peck cycles, predicted tool life and more. The tab for "reports" will give you a checklist for what you want on the report and then it generates a printable PDF.

Really nice software, and I think you can download it to your computer and run it on your own. I got it in the form of a DVD and I love it. It's also great for selecting their high performance Prototyp (brand) taps, thread mills and end mills.

Thanks pixman

Using Tapatalk