587,401 active members*
3,191 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Cutting carbon fiber with laser

Hi all!

I've been looking for that information and haven't had any luck, so I decided to ask you experts ;o)

I do not know if it is even possible, but I would like to cut carbon fiber plates of 1 to 4 millimeters width. I know I can mil them but, is it possible to laser cut it? To me it will be much better as for the level of detail possible.

If it is posible, what sort of equipment will be needed? What other materials would that equipment be able to cut (alu, steel...)?

Maybe I'm just mad and it is just not possible.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Pedro
    Los Hermanos Show Kites

By now, the most efficient way is the mill way.

Waterjet tends to de-laminate the fibers, definitively not an option.

To laser it would need rather an interesting wattage (+200w?), that would lead us to industrial laser shops, which means rather an interesting amount of $. Also, depending on the machine / circumstances / material... Lasers tend to scorch the surface around the cut, not an option for cosmetic pieces.

Look for shop with a router around you, CF is easy to mill.

600 watt+ Fiber or YAG maybe but CF and Lasers don't get on very well until you get into the kW range for CO2 machines.

Bloody horrible stuff to Lasercut. The resin cuts and leaves the Fibers ..

cheers

Dave

Hi ,
    I quite agree with Dave .
    Normal CO2 tube can not do . We once sold a YAG 600W to England last year ,adding a big chiller as the equipment to cool the Spotlight cavity, which should be work with very very carefully in case it broken if no water and very expensive .
    Here the samples we tech there did while training .
    Attachment 212176 Attachment 212178 Attachment 212180 Attachment 212182

Thanks!

As I said before, that totally clarifies my point... The necessary machinery is totally out of my reach.

Thanks to all for your help :O)

Pedro

I've cut dry carbon fabric with a 100W Coherent laser. It took slow speed and full power just to get through 1 layer, definitely not a recommended use.

Hi Pedro ,
    You are welcome ! I am glad to share the knowledge I knew to people here .And I Hope you can find a suitable machine sooner !

Sincerely,
    Mary

I agree with Exsecratio. Nasty stuff to laser cut. I have cut carbon fiber automotive body panels with a 1500 watt Fanuc laser (probably only used about 700-800 watts). When the resin is burned away it leaves all the little fibers sticking out and they are sharp as a knife. In my opinion laser is out regardless of wattage. I've tested the same material on a 3kW Fiber system and get the same awful result. We had to go to waterjet, which also has its challenges but the edge quality was way better. Hope this helps!