587,999 active members*
1,951 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Novakon > Just ordered the last melon (Torus)

Hybrid View

Good job.
    I think you will really like it. Mine is away from the wall enough so that the door on the cabinet will open. This leaves plenty of room behind the machine to get at stuff. I also hide my small compressor in the corner behind the Torus, so double duty for that space. I did add an extra larger drain in mine. The original drain is maybe a 3/4" hole at the right rear corner of the pan. I installed a bath sink drain in the front right corner and use some reinforced clear tube to route it into the coolant tank.

One of the first things you might want to tackle is to make a new drawbar. The square head design my Torus came with is not suitable for fast tool changes.

Looking forward to seeing pics and reading about it. It is a pity that this is the last one.
    It is a nice machine at a low price point. I would probably have paid the extra for the Pulsar without balking though. Lots of nicer features than the Torus.
    Lee

Quote Originally Posted by LeeWay View Post
    Good job.
    I think you will really like it. Mine is away from the wall enough so that the door on the cabinet will open. This leaves plenty of room behind the machine to get at stuff. I also hide my small compressor in the corner behind the Torus, so double duty for that space. I did add an extra larger drain in mine. The original drain is maybe a 3/4" hole at the right rear corner of the pan. I installed a bath sink drain in the front right corner and use some reinforced clear tube to route it into the coolant tank.
    I'm really excited about getting this mill. I've been following your Torus thread closely. I'll definitely be following your lead on the drain and coolant upgrades.

One of the first things you might want to tackle is to make a new drawbar. The square head design my Torus came with is not suitable for fast tool changes.
    Thanks for the drawbar tip. How are you changing tools? And I don't remember if you were using the quick change tools or not?

Looking forward to seeing pics and reading about it. It is a pity that this is the last one.
    It is a nice machine at a low price point. I would probably have paid the extra for the Pulsar without balking though. Lots of nicer features than the Torus.
    Well, I won't have any pictures of the mill for another month and a half, unless people are bored enough to see the progress in getting the space destined for the Torus all cleaned up.

Everyone keeps saying that the Pulsar is a nicer machine, but the main thing I kept hearing was that the stand did chip and coolant handling much better. But the stand is sold separately from the Pulsar, so I'm still not completely clear how the Pulsar alone is so much better than the Torus. The Pulsar is $7750 as compared to the Torus $6495, plus the Pulsar doesn't include the stand like the Torus. So I was looking at $6495 for the Torus as compared to $8500 for the Pulsar. I just never got a clear idea what the extra $2000 was buying for me. At $8500 for the Pulsar, I figured one should probably just spend an extra $2000 and go for the Torus Pro.

Titaniumboy