587,587 active members*
4,729 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Cardboard air filter

Hi,

I ordered some 24x24 filter. 1 big particle filter, and a charcoal filter. I haven't used it yet. I need to buy more docking to connect to the exit air dock.

My goal is to only reduce the amount of dust going into the permanent house piping, and to reduce the smell so the neighbor doesn't hate me.

I'll keep you posted when I get the setup going !

First image show the ducking intake of the filter. I decided to put the input at the bottom so to maybe reduce actual big particle to go up on the filter. I selected an angle pipe to help make the air more spread hitting the bottom, and simplify positioning :
    Attachment 211330

This is show the OUT after the air have been filtered :
    Attachment 211332

Inside the box with no filter. To the right is the output, and on the bottom left, is the input. I've left the cardboard there partially attached so to try to make the air not go in directly to 1 spot on the air filter, so the whole surface is used hopefully:
    Attachment 211334

Same as above but with the filter in. As you can see, I put it in Angle, this made it easier to do, and once the box is closed, the 24x24 filters are stuck in place, Only the cheap big particle filter is in right now. They recommend to keep the charcoal filter in a seal bag when not in used as it will help to make it life longer it won't capture the general air particle around it:
    Attachment 211336

I'm not sure if the space of air in the box is enough, but we will see...

I am a tiny worried about fire... getting some hot particle suck in and burn on the filter or the cardboard box... I might just tape a metal screen too before getting into the filter as so block the bigger particle... Anyway, I think I'm worrying too much...

I will suck the air into the filter box... So Laser Cutter ->dock->Air Filter->dock->air pump->dock->house dock going outside. This way, I don't have to worry about my filter box not being fully tight since the air suction need to be lower from it maximum level.

The goal is to make it in wood in the future... But I have no power tool yet to do it since I just moved from an apartment to a house, so decided to do it in cardboard to test the design.

Hope you like it, and again, I'll let you guys know how well it perform.

Moc

Anyway, I think I'm worrying too much
    I don't.

The fumes will be less of a problem than the noise from the fan you will need to pull any air though that set up.

On a push system it's going to leak like a sieve, on a pull system the box walls will collapse.

Nice idea but I'd suggest using wood to start with, cardboard doesn't really work very well for filter boxes.

cheers

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Exsecratio View Post
    I don't.

The fumes will be less of a problem than the noise from the fan you will need to pull any air though that set up.

On a push system it's going to leak like a sieve, on a pull system the box walls will collapse.

Nice idea but I'd suggest using wood to start with, cardboard doesn't really work very well for filter boxes.

cheers

Dave
    I've used it a little now, and I must say it working out pretty well... It is indeed a pull system. If I run the air fan at full speed, the cardboard does flex, but so my laser cutter cover, so I never use that much air flow in the first place. In the level I used it before, the card board doesn't flex (well it probably does but I can't see it).

So I wouldn't call it a long term solution, but for the moment, it work and provide a very light setup. And I got the feeling it might become a permanent solution.

I have laser cut a filter box last year for one of my customers. The file is downloadable from the website.Attachment 215024

Nice work Sky, thanks for sharing

cheers

Dave

:cheers:That first filter on the left side the one with the course white filter fiber, I've heard they are self cleaning, they just run outside and shake all the dust off then come back for more. Do they work well?

Most paper filters is not washable and trying to remove the nicotine from the filters can be a bit difficult. Using a primary cheap paper filter definitely will help with preventing it from getting too dirty. I used 500mm square filters. The bigger the better.
    Previously I tried pumping the smoke through water and then through a material filter in the water to break the bubbles in smaller particles but this method also did not work very good.

That went right over your headLOL(wedge) did anybody get it LOL:stickpokeL
    Quote Originally Posted by sky1 View Post
    Most paper filters is not washable and trying to remove the nicotine from the filters can be a bit difficult. Using a primary cheap paper filter definitely will help with preventing it from getting too dirty. I used 500mm square filters. The bigger the better.
    Previously I tried pumping the smoke through water and then through a material filter in the water to break the bubbles in smaller particles but this method also did not work very good.

The first filter I used was a cheap paper filter to remove most of the bigger smoke particles(90-92% efficiency). Secondly I used a bag filter to remove most of the remaining smoke(95% efficiency). No visible smoke was left after the second filter or anything smelly with cutting wood. I would suggest a carbon filter in place of the bag filter if you are going to cut any acrylics but it is expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by sky1 View Post
    I have laser cut a filter box last year for one of my customers. The file is downloadable from the website.Attachment 215024
    Can the plans be found elsewhere? The link you posted a few weeks ago is down. Thanks.