588,515 active members*
5,108 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > haas VF2 spindle noise (sound clip included)

Hybrid View

dumpybunny

How much oil drips out of your spindle, you can get this sound also if there is not enough oil in the spindle bearings as well,check that you are get oil to the spindle

Do you have high pressure through spindle coolant, you could check the spindle Encoder belt Etc

The sound in the video does sound like a bearing cage skidding, But because the video is not of your machine, you may have something totally different going on
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    dumpybunny

How much oil drips out of your spindle, you can get this sound also if there is not enough oil in the spindle bearings as well,check that you are get oil to the spindle

Do you have high pressure through spindle coolant, you could check the spindle Encoder belt Etc

The sound in the video does sound like a bearing cage skidding, But because the video is not of your machine, you may have something totally different going on
    the oil system has been checked and is working properly. I do not have through spindle coolant. the video I posted shows literally the exact sound that mine is making, I would not have posted it if I simply saw it as a spindle making "a sound". their video has the sound much clearer to hear than what I could pick up using my phone to take a video.

using the screwdriver to ear method I can tell it is in the lower part of the spindle in the black protrusion outside the sheet metal.

Quote Originally Posted by dumpybunny View Post
    using the screwdriver to ear method I can tell it is in the lower part of the spindle in the black protrusion outside the sheet metal.
    With the oil system working correctly you will have some oil dripping from the spindle, do you have this??

If the noise is coming from were you checked it with the screwdriver, it does sound like a bearing cage or balls are skidding, did this start after the machine had been sitting for a while
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    With the oil system working correctly you will have some oil dripping from the spindle, do you have this??

If the noise is coming from were you checked it with the screwdriver, it does sound like a bearing cage or balls are skidding, did this start after the machine had been sitting for a while
    yes I occasionally will have oil drip from the spindle. it has been more of gradually getting louder over time, the machine hasn't sat any longer than a week on rare occasions since it was new.

Quote Originally Posted by dumpybunny View Post
    yes I occasionally will have oil drip from the spindle. it has been more of gradually getting louder over time, the machine hasn't sat any longer than a week on rare occasions since it was new.
    There should be a small amount of oil coming out of the spindle all the time, there is a air/oil mixture that is going through the spindle when it is running, if this has not been enough then you may have a bearing problem, another problem is water in the air can rust the bearings as well, which will destroy them over time
    Mactec54