Hi All,

I'm not certain I'm interpretting the thread properly (I can't seem to visualize how a gas spring inside the column would address the problem I perceive).

For clarity, I see a problem withe the weight of the head and motor cantilevered off of the column putting a lot of stress on the ways, thus creating a lot of wear. Why is this a problem? Because a designed for manual use, the head was never intended to be moved up and down the column with the frequency that the full-Z motion CNC conversion will bring about; the quill is simply not used.

I have been working on the design of a simple fabricated structure to be bolted on the back of the column that hangs over top of the head. Attached to the structure in the back is a pair of adjustable gas springs (http://www.ameritoolmfg.com/adjustablegassprings.asp -- 1165-14 is my current estimate). Connecting the ends of the pistons to the head is a pair of lifting roller chains attached to brackets on the head. At this point I am still scrounging for parts (chain and rollers being the critical missing pieces).

The idea here is to get the weight of the head in near "neutral-buyancy", and take as much of the "canted stress" off of the ways as possible.

What do you think?

Soryr if this is a bit to far off thread topic.

David