587,997 active members*
1,808 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hybrid View

I haven't been able to find one and anyways on of the boards are bad. Not sure which one and it might be something simple but I'm going retrofit.

Are older DC servos better than the original BP Boss steppers? They came from a 9x42 BP J head?

Quote Originally Posted by jonesturf View Post
    Are older DC servos better than the original BP Boss steppers?
    It depends.... You will find that it is a royal PITA to make adapters for the motors and the timing pulleys. The original steppers had 'non-standard' shaft diameter and length. It is nontrivial to make a robust adapter. If that is within your capabilities, you may find it worthwhile since the old steppers can be improved upon.

I have a BOSS 3 and I will be replacing the original steppers with modern ones. I have not yet finished the shaft adapters, and they are a PITA. The original steppers work fine, but they have almost no advantage when micro-stepping and have limited torque (when compared to modern steppers).
    "Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." Antoine de Saint-Exupery (1900 - 1944)

Does anyone have any information on how to use the original power supply to make a new one? I know Bob Campbell has a nice document on making power supplies but his website is down and it's unavailable.

Quote Originally Posted by jonesturf View Post
    Does anyone have any information on how to use the original power supply to make a new one? I know Bob Campbell has a nice document on making power supplies but his website is down and it's unavailable.
    Might be better to just buy a power supply off ebay. I managed to find a Lamba rail mount 24v/5A power supply for 30 dollars and converted the original 3phase transformer for the 70v power to the gecko drive. Below is a few examples of din mount power supplies.

Altech PS 12024 DIN Rail DC Power Supply 24V 5A | eBay

Or

IFM Electronic DN2012 Switched Mode 24VDC Power Supply 24V 5A DIN Mount | eBay

The original power supply should be easy to convert over to 24v but the space can be better spent for something else. Even my converted 70v power will be replaced sooner or later with a smaller compact unit.