588,107 active members*
5,595 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > Bending, Forging, Extrusion... > Looking 4 someone that would like to build a mini cnc tube/pipe bender for 3/8
Page 1 of 2 12

Looking 4 someone that would like to build a mini cnc tube/pipe bender for 3/8

I need a mini cnc tube bender that could bend 3/8 and smaller aluminum and copper tubing. I need it to be able to make tight bends if possable.

Any takers? Ideas?

Thanks

I'd like to do that too. I bought the hydraulic power unit and I even have a hydraulic rotary motor to do the twisting but I never found the time or the design. Let me know if you find something. My interest is in 1/4 and 3/8 rectangular bars.

Will Do

Just what do you want to do with this machine? Have CNC control of just one bend or feed in the tube make a bend feed in some more and then another bend..
    Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Ron22
    Just what do you want to do with this machine? Have CNC control of just one bend or feed in the tube make a bend feed in some more and then another bend..
    Ron
    Having CNC over the feed and rotation of the tube. Would need the ability to do more than one bend. I would think one die could slide in and bend, along with being able to slide to the left or right side of the tube unless chassy is made so previous bends would not stop the rotation of the tube so a single sided bending die could perform right and left side bend simply by rotating the tube. I would not be bending anything over 20inches long if that ever.

I assume dies could be made from a lathe and simply removing one size die and replacing for another size for the different tube OD's.

if you waNt to make tight bend (radius of bending 2x dia of tube and less) you will need to design a machine with a mandrel to avoid excessive wrinkling or ovality of the tube. if its anything bigger 4x dia. then you it can be done with a rotary die & clamp. since its only 3/8" tubing you can use an electric motor with a reduction gear box, lot cheaper and easier to design than hydraulic in my opinion. calmping can be activated by solenoid with a wedge lockin action. indexing and lenght feed with small steppers. a small PLC with HMI to program degree of bendding, index and lenght. it can be made to work on domestic 120v really easy. for under 4000$ you can do something really flexible and easy to operate!! easy to design also

Does this bender need to be "programmable" or will it have a few pre-programmed programs in it. (Are you making the same thing every time or something new all the time.)
    Basically do you need a easy to use HMI to operate the machine and design new tubes or are you bending the same thing all the time.

I would like to do more than one pattern of bends. At the start I will only do one pattern over and over.

being able to program it for each bend would be good, simply using the same file over and over till i come up with a new pattern of bends to do.

I would like to not be stuck with just one possable pattern.

Quote Originally Posted by dbtoutfit
    I would like to do more than one pattern of bends. At the start I will only do one pattern over and over.

being able to program it for each bend would be good, simply using the same file over and over till i come up with a new pattern of bends to do.

I would like to not be stuck with just one possable pattern.
    most PLCs can be program with a PC, you just reprogram the ladder sequence each time you change the pattern. will it be for large production??

About 100-500. By then I will grab something that is good for mass production if not other means.

BTW when i said tight bends I meant to say I need to have the ability to be able to bend left to right as fast as an S most bends would be no more than 100 degrees if that.

If you are looking for a production machine, a dedicated bender for each configuration of tube is the way to go. You can bend a 6 - 8 bend part in the time it will take an NC machine to do 1.5 bends.
    I have experience building production tube benders if you are interested feel free to contact me with your requirements.
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

I am mostly looking for someone that wants to step up to the challange and get paid for it. I'm not really looking to give a company thousands. Theres plenty of them to go around.

I am mostly looking for someone that wants to step up to the challange and get paid for it. I'm not really looking to give a company thousands. Theres plenty of them to go around.
    could be interesting but its still a lot of works. do you need someone to help you with the design, building or both?

either or both lol

Anyone got ideas of what type motors, controller, software, frame work etc etc

either or both lol
    lol well, im in canada so it might be a bit complicated for the fabrication part but for the design i can help! :cheers:

Anyone got ideas of what type motors, controller, software, frame work etc etc
    step drive and motor, simple PLC with step output/encoder input capabilities, geared electric bending drive... since its only for 3/8" it can be build on a light welded frame and still be rigid enough for tight bending. could you tell me whats the application of the bent tube if possible?

Heres a pic of a bend I need to do.

Here

its 10 inches long b4 its bent

this is one of the design i have done:

automatic clamping and pressure die retract
    pressure die hydraulic assist
    high speed bender arm retract
    electronic indexing and positionning
    80000lbs/in of tork

and the one im building right now:

powerunit with frame:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bbb.jpg   bbb2.jpg   frame3.JPG