587,779 active members*
2,824 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: help!

help!

Hello all,

I bought a cnc router and having difficulty getting it going. The system initially had Ya Cncpro software driving Gecko 201s. The problem is this: all three axis drive only in one direction regardless of direction given. I downloaded the demo version of Mach2 with the same results; I have tried two different computers. Since it is all three axis it would seem to be a global setup issue. I am probably missing something simple. I talked to Mariss yesterday on the phone and he was very helpful and offered a few things to try.

One was to disable the input from the computer A Gecko dir input. In its place put a jumper that can be taken back to the computer and ground it on the chassis as the axis is directed to move. The ground/unground at the computer should change the direction of the motor. It did not.

Another test was to measure the voltage at the output of the lpt1 to see if it would toggle between the 5VDC and 0VDC. It did but is closer to .66VDC and 5.1VDC, I would think this is good enough, but then again I am still having problems.

Thanks,
    Lou

This is just off the top of my head, but since it's all three axes you might try booting your computer into bios and changing your parallel port mode. Each axis should have it's own dir pin and if all three are failing to perform the problem *may* reside in the port itself.

This may be a bogus suggestion since I'm one who has to struggle with all the electronic crap, but it came right to mind when I read your post, and it's easy and fast enough to be worth a shot maybe.

Tiger

Hey Lou;
    I had problems with my setup using 320's and servos. The problem, as I learned, was not taking the 5V from the computer power supply. I was trying to use an internal power supply to my control box and the system didn't like it. After tapping 5V from the compter power supply, the system calmed down and behaved!!!
    Don't know if this will help at all, but it fixed mine! Maybe it'll help out!
    Good Luck
    billyjack
    billyjack
    Helicopter def. = Bunch of spare parts flying in close formation! USAF 1974 ;>)

Thanks Billyjack. I will try this first thing tomorrow. I was thinking it had to do with the grounding. But the system does have a standalone 5VDC power supply feeding the commons on the three Geckos. It has to be something global like you suggested. I'll let you know asap!

Thanks Tiger. I will give this a try right after I try Billyjacks suggestion with the logic power to the drivers from the computer.
    Lou

I tried both of your suggestions and neither worked. I was miffed. I called Mariss at Gecko and we went pin to pin over ther phone. It appears that all three Geckos are cooked. They are extremely old based on the rev number of the pcbs.

Mariss is a wealth of knowledge. I will, without a doubt, be buying more Gecko products.

Thanks guys
    Lou