Quote Originally Posted by hoss2006 View Post
I wonder if any of the Tormach guys have thought of trying a higher psi compressor.
If the air cylinders are rated high enough, be sure to check first, a 200 psi compressor isn't very expensive to perhaps double the pull capability with an upgrade to the bellevilles of course.
No need for a big one, I just got a little 200 psi pancake type that will be just for my drawbar.
I'd suggest checking with Tormach first about safety considerations.
Hoss
Higher pressure is one way to increase capacity, but the problem is the vast majority of consumer-level compressors on the market, and virtually all of the small ones (under 5HP or so), are limited to no more than 100-125 PSI (often limited by the rating on their pressure tanks). Larger compressors often provide higher pressure, but many customers would be justifiably upset if they bought an air-powered product, then found out they had to buy an expensive new compress just to make it work. It's not like an air tool like a sander that you can get by with less pressure if you just work slower. A pneumatic PDB either works or it doesn't - not enough pressure, and it don't work at all. Higher pressure air cylinders are also more expensive - most commodity ones are only rated for 125PSI.

Regards,
Ray L.