587,372 active members*
3,558 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question Porter Cable 690 bearing problems

I have a PC690 mounted in my CNC router parts 4848. I have had to replace the lower bearing twice due to it getting full of dust. I have a very good dust collection setup connected to a Pen State 1.5 hp system. I cut 40-60 hours on the first bearing mostly solid wood and only got 8-10 hours on the second bearing. I wonder if my problem is tied to me cutting MDF? Does anybody have any idea on how I can extend my bearing lifr?

Mathew

i would replace them with a high quality bearing from a bearing supplier. mention the wood application, they can get a dust shield on them. you should pound in a bearing. press it in if possible, applying pressure to only the outer race.

Re: Porter Cable 690 bearing problems

DO NOT pound in a bearing. Unless you want to replace it again shortly. I am guessing when you replaced the bearing you didn't apply pressure to only the outer ring along the edge?

Get SKF bearings, then press them in.

Don't have the correct press?
    To apply pressure to only the outer ring find a socket that is the same diameter as the outside of the bearing and use the end of the socket that goes on a nut to press on the bearing. To press the bearing in get 2 pieces of all-thread and two pieces of wood drill two holes in each piece of wood spaced slightly larger than the diameter of the router apart. Put one price of wood on your bench put the router on bearing to be pressed side up on top of the wood. Line up the bearing with it's hole. Line up the socket with the bearing. Add the second piece of wood on top. put the all-thread through the hole, add nuts and finger tighten. slowly press the bearing in by turning the nut on each side of the all-tread a half turn at a time until the bearing is pressed in.