587,345 active members*
4,754 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Hardinge Lathes > Need SIEMENS 1HU5040-0AF02-Z Servo Motor for 1989 CHNC 1 X-axis

Need SIEMENS 1HU5040-0AF02-Z Servo Motor for 1989 CHNC 1 X-axis

My X-axis motor blew this past week and I'm looking for a replacement motor. If you have one for sale, please let me know. Thank you.

SIEMENS 1HU5040-0AF02-Z Servo Motor for CHNC1 X-axis

If you know a nearly plug-and-play way of replacing this motor with an AC motor on the CHNC 1 machine, I'd be interested to hear how.

Torin...

Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

I'm putting in an offer. I can't believe some of the prices of these motors online. One guy pointed to his motor on ebay for $2800. For that much, I could probably have a manufacturer custom-build a motor for me. Probably for even less.

I also sent a bunch of photos of the smoked rotor to a nearby rewind house. I've seen really large motors rewound for only a few hundred, so perhaps rewinding this tiny motor could be done for a couple of hundred? Might be worth it to have a spare in the back for the next, seemingly inevitable, motor failure.

I'm surprised, actually, that more of these motors don't exist with all the Hardinge machines up for sale and for parts. Well, I guess I'm not the only one with failing motors. I'd really like to hear from this guy, Perry Harrington. Apparently, he retrofitted his CHNC 1 with AC motors. Seems simple enough, with the +/- analog velocity signal and existing encoder on the ball-screw. Velocity feedback is provided by the encoder on the motor itself to the drive, so really ... would one simply need to perform PID tuning on the drive itself, or does the Siemens control also require tuning?

Torin...
    --
    www.walker-tech.com

I have seen many of them from time to time, but just not so many right now. Almost bought one as a spare a while back, but then I decided it may be wrong and I would have to pull mine apart to see what was actually inside the motor housings. As I mentioned, mine has brushless AC drives and motors.

You'll find one and I think you can get the armature done very reasonably. There are a lot of shops in California that rewind motors. Used to have some done for a shop I worked at many years ago.

Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails drives.jpg  
    Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

Mike,

What kinds of AC motors do you have installed on your X and Z? And what kind of drives are those? Do you have a higher-res photo? Nice layout. I'd like to see those other components that look like fuse holders. Questions, questions!

I'm actually considering the retrofit. I rebuilt my Ex-cell-o control from the ground up, so wiring an AC motor and drive to replace the one that has failed doesn't seem all that terribly difficult (I'm an optimist.) The bulk of the work is in finding the right combinations of motors with capacity, mounting configuration, pulley, and the drive with the correct interface (I presume analog +/-10V from the Siemens 810T) and voltage to make use of an existing supply. Yours has what appears to be a buck transformer to raise or lower the voltage to that required by the drives.

The rest is just time and elbow grease. Someone probably did some messing around inside the control itself, but that's worry for the trip down the road.

Torin...
    --
    www.walker-tech.com

Here is a better picture of the drives. I am not someone who knows these things so you will have to get the info somewhere else.

A gentleman who worked for Hardinge while the CHNC's were being developed and manufactured, told me the AC drives and motors were a $10,000 option from the factory.

There should be plenty of info out there to find out about how to convert them over.

Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC_0037cc.jpg  

Hello, I hope you were able to find your motor:

On a side note, I have two of those black drives that came out of my CHNC II that I retrofitted.

Do you know of anyone who wants them?

Thanks

Mike

Also, I have retrofitted many CHNC's in the past, and I can tell you that putting the motor and drive on are not the big issues, the big issues are all the parameters and tuning that must be done. It can be done, I have done it. But keep in mind, it would take 1 day to mount motors, probably 5 days tuning, checking, running, and retuning.

Best of luck!

Mike

- - - Updated - - -

When I mean tuning, I mean you can keep the same control but the control keeps and adjusts the PID loop for gain and dither.

I have built my own Linux CNC control and tuned PID loops - that's easy (or so I believe.) As I may have mentioned in another post, the tricky part is finding the right motors and drives, with all the correct physical, performance... and price characteristics.

These two black drives you speak of... do you mean the motors? Or the drives? I have Siemens drives already, but I could use a spare X motor just in case this new one I recently bought fails on me.

Torin...
    --
    www.walker-tech.com

if you guys are still looking for parts . i have all the boards ,motors, controller, up for sale from my chnc1 , i am planing on retrofitting to mach3 and ac drives. just not shure
    what i am going to do about tool changer. not going to use anything but bed ,spindle and inclosure. lets talk

I was able to repair my machine by replacing a fuse, an amplifier, and smashing together two old motors - one from ebay that was in pretty bad shape but had good windings, and my old motor from which survived the housing, bearings, brushes, and wires.

While I no longer need a motor, it would be nice to have one as a spare. You're in Canada? Whereabouts? We should shoot the **** and talk shop and stuff.

Torin...
    --
    www.walker-tech.com

Re: Need SIEMENS 1HU5040-0AF02-Z Servo Motor for 1989 CHNC 1 X-axis

Have not been around much . Got my Hardinge all stripped down now for the fun part . Trying to put it back together and working right. Torin good to here you got yours up and running. What part of Canada are you in. I'm in Ontario.

I should have looked at your web site. I'm 25 min north of you.

So you must be in Brampton. So, how "apart" is your machine?

Torin...
    --
    www.walker-tech.com - Makers of Spinny-Doo.

I'm just bellow Georgetown . The only part that I have to come off is the tool plate air drive. Any thing electric is going to be replaced.