587,249 active members*
3,552 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 3 123
    Here is the rear plate, bearing blocks, and stuff. When you make your bearing blocks you will need to countersink the bearings, thats why there is two circles on the pic/dxf. The bearing blocks, motor mount, and rails go on the front of the plate. The bearings and lead nut for the Y go on the rear. All holes from the front are counter sunk so all screws mount flush. Motor mount holes need to be counter sunk so the motor coupling spacer sits flush on top of it. The bearing blocks are not counter sunk because they bolt from the back. The holes are counter sunk for a taper head screw, not counter bored for a socket head screw.
    Attachment 204664Attachment 204666Attachment 204668

I am not sure what you mean when you say "make your bearing blocks" did you not use the blocks that came with the rails?

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk

Ok no I know what you mean now. I guess I was having a moment....lol.

That is it for tonight. I will try and get pictures of all these actual parts tomorrow, or this weekend since I need to cut some 1911 blanks Sunday. I did need to do some "on the go" fit up on parts so they lined up perfect. I drew them for a plasma or waterjet so I left the parallel part of the parts a tiny long so I could file or mill them perfectly square. These are the lead nuts I used, they came from dumpstercnc.
    Attachment 204670

Here s some pics.
    The z in the building process. This is the front plate, rear plate, top bearing mount and motor mount.

You can see the bottom bearing mount. And also the router mount. I did add a piece between the router mount and the front platee to drop the router about four inches. You can see that in pics later.

Heres the drop plate.

here is a link to all the pics that i currently have, if it works. Some are dirty, but that's just proof it worked.

My Router Slideshow by tatinc2000 | Photobucket

I posted the wrong rear z. This is the one. The only difference is I put the y lead screw nut bracket centered between the y bearing rails. I will put up the dxf later today.

A recent wedding gift I did.

Added some stiffeners to the Y axis. Got an extra 30ipm. Attachment 220704Attachment 220706

Looks good. Ill make sure I add the same as well.

What thickness are your sides on the Y axis? I need to source some aluminum for them so when it warms up I can get building.

They are 1/4", but if I did it again I would go 1/2". I had the 1/4" laying around. I'd use half on the piece that travels under the bed. The piece that connects the y legs.

Re: My Design Build( lots of pictures)

Thanks! I am going to try this in MDF first and see how I do. I am not the machinist that you are and I really worry about getting things lined up. But it's time get going and conquer obstacles as I come across them rather than worry about them and never get started!! Thanks again.

I learned as I went. I am not a machinist. Just a garage junky.

Finally building my new CNC with linear supported rails as you did. I was wondering , do you need to grease those bearings at some point?? Is that what the small allen key hole is for in the side of the bearings??
    Thanks.

I think that's what the hole is for. Not to sure. Mine was on the top side and got covered by my brackets. I just use a dry lubricant on the rails once in a while. Like liquid Teflon. My machine is still running strong with out any additional mods since the stiffeners we talked about. Good luck and take pictures.

The hole on the top +/- side of SBR bearings contains a set screw to adjust the tightness of the bearings. It squeezes the carrier the balls run in. Adjust it to change the amount of play.
    7xCNC.com - CNC info for the minilathe (7x10, 7x12, 7x14, 7x16)

Thanks pippin

Ya thanks Pippin. I am now cutting up some stuff. Before I do I want to ask something. On the YZ plate I know what the four vertical holes in the middle are, they are the nut mount for the Y axis. But what are the holes just above and below it? The Z axis wouldn't mount on this plate as well, it should mount on teh Z front plate. What are those holes for??
    Thanks!!

Page 2 of 3 123