587,311 active members*
3,584 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Autodesk > 2D to 3D Extrude, taper, Custom Axe cheek taper problem.

Hybrid View

Re: 2D to 3D Extrude, taper, Custom Axe cheek taper problem.

Hi Ger21. You did Nail it (as we knew). The learning the basics is the pits. I have an idea and a Q or 2 more if you are game? I did send you a bit more in a PM regarding this.

.... I attached a new .DWG file of an Axe which is for a Friend/Fireman. I found a command under "Solid Editing" called TAPER FACES. Looks exactly like what I wanted.

I Did take some stabs at your options. Just did not get too far..... Starting thinking in another plane again. ;- ) Bad move- 5 hours later here I am still !! LOL.

I actually have 2 scenarios here.
    1) Take a single Axe face (the Yellow Line Set in the DWG) and extruded ( even tried to Press-pull) into .thickness of 125. Stuck here-> Convert to a Solid. Then use the 'taper faces'. in the Solids Editing!

It sounded so easy! I cooe'd with awwwwe until- Doink- I cannot seem to ever convert a single thing into a SOLID? I've used Flatten, Region, Surface.... Watched a dozed YouTube's and did my share of Surfing. What should I be reading to turn a line, 2D line, Poly line into a solid? I did use your SURFPATCH. Nothing I do will get me a simple Solid? Bummed out on this one!

2) Onto the 3 Purple Axe faces. Since each "face" is a closed shape, I've omiited the rest of the axe. Done't need it to model and shape anyway (yet). I wanted to take three lines of differing elevations. Stacked over each other exactly. From Edge on, They look as 3 purple lines. Where I am stuck: I wanted to rotate the upper purple line from the edge up say 10' . The middle line stays as is. Then rotate the bottom line to -10'.

I end up w/ a "<" and 1 line "-" in the middle when looking edge on. then just LOFT it. but I'm not able to figure out how to get the 2d shape to act 3D (in a sense) from the edge on. This one, I am thinking is not really do-able? But thought I'd ask. I could then marry it to the .25 handle and head where they meet on -edge. Lopp off the excess... Or do the math and have them line up perfectlly.

Here's a quick sample. More info later.
    It's really a lot easier than you're making it out to be.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

OK - Been a great day of reading and learning AutoDesk. Gotta say I'm getting to be a FAN!
    I have attached a .DWG file with about 7 steps that I figured out. I now can turn this in about 5mins w/ the commands of : Region, Extrude, Solid Edit/Taper Face - But I'm not sure how well it'll come out via a CNC and CAM process.... But I did make some grand headway on my own today w/ some solid reading and YouTube Vids. Best of all I'm starting to feel Comfortable w/ the UI in this Monster! ;-) Thanks Ger!

Now- that said- I'm not sure how this approach differes from Ger21's professional approach - I'm still just a hack at this point. And I really do need to get into the Taper Angles & MEasurements which will leave the edge to about 1/16" for the final Grind w/ a Wet-Stone 70rpm sharpener tool. It'll shave hair off your arm when done.

I have a Pic Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AxeFace1.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	78.1 KB 
ID:	232538