587,614 active members*
3,524 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > Buying cutting tools in W. Canada (question to canadians)

Buying cutting tools in W. Canada (question to canadians)

Hi All,

I'm wondering where you guys get your cutting tools specially if you need it quick. If you live in Ontario there are plenty of places you can choose from. But not in BC. I got very upset today. I called the (biggest?) supplier in town KBCtools asking for a 1/32 and 1/16 ball endmills they said they don't have it in stock. They didn't even have a common 1/4 TIN ball end mill.
    I'd have to order it they said. And it takes 5-10 business days to ship the tools from their Ontario location to BC. We are talking about the same company here !!!

Could you please name same Canadian companies which take online orders? or American ones if they ship to Canada.

Thanks,
    James

thomas skinner in richmond , do all in delta , technicut port kells

kbc i wouldn t concider as the biggest in the lower mainland but they do carry a large variety of stuff , skinner is the best in the lower mainland , in my opinion anyway

Try technicut they're in port kells and is they don't have it usually it's only a few days away. I've used all the suppliers in the lower mainland and so far i've had the best service from them. Were you looking for hss or carbide cutters, because I know if you want hss in those small sizes you have a long lead time but carbide is no problem, and is much cheaper.

Thanks for all the tips. I only knew about Thomas Skinner. KBC's catalogue is impressive but they don't carry anything in stock.
    So far CNC is only a hobby for me. I recently purchased OneCNC software and I just want to experiment with cutting 3D surfaces. Carbide is fine.

carbide is the best , good choice , try some of the high helix cutters for a laugh , you may just love them, depending on what you plan to do

I find that an order placed before 5pm (eastern) at McMaster Carr gets shipped to my door before 11am next day.
    This is standard shipping!
    This is cross border!
    Shipping is extremety cheap as well!

The down side - product is more costly than other places.
    - If you are talking cutting tools only the selection is limited.

They may ship to you in BC as promptly (you will have to try)

Another experience of mine - I buy most of my computer components on-line from BC, and usually I have them here within 2 days! Point is maybe an Ontario supplier can be as prompt?

On the subject of cutters. I have switched all of my CNC work to TiAln coated Ultratool cutters. I have been VERY impressed with this cutter line. Coated cutters are a necessity. Once you start using the right ones you will know it - big time
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

well I not a Canadan I'm a masswhole south of Boston But would sudjest MSC along with McMaster Carr there price is a little lower then McMaster
    www.mscdirect.com

try act

Im in western canada and had best luck with www.travers.com

They seem lot faster shipping than KBCtools and prices are lot cheaper. There prices in catalog are to your door. Travers shipping is around 1-2 days normally to your door.

We use O.S.G cutters out of Detroit Michigan, not sure how long they would take to get to you, but its worth a try!!

Brad

Try PMS

Precision Mold Services sells Garr at reasonable prices. By far the cheapest in town. A.C.T. has great service and sells almost anything you can imagine. I've found Skinner a bit pricey :boxing:

Travers will ship over night on orders over $100
    "It's only funny until some one get's hurt, and then it's just hilarious!!" Mike Patton - Faith No More Ricochet