587,947 active members*
3,349 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > FeatureCAM CAD/CAM > Machining a Profile from both sides of a Aluminium Job !!!!!

Machining a Profile from both sides of a Aluminium Job !!!!!

hi friends

i want to generate profile on a Aluminium Plate on its both sides.
    i have Pro E solid drawings of it.

the part is having one profile projecting out side from front side and the back side is having cavity with ribs.

my problem is i can generate a NC code for one side but how to position the same job to generate the cavity and ribs from other side.

Please help me with the placement of job.
    i have feature cam 2007.

cheers

Hi Suraj,

If you can send your email id to [email protected], I can have the FeatureCAM support team contact you

Regards
    Christy

several solutions

Hi, there are several methods, you'll have to decide which one is best for you.1.) machine the cavity out of solid in order to accept the part with some clamping method to hold the part in the fixture when doing the second side.
    2.) add tooling lugs to the first side, so when you flip it to do the cavity & rib side, you can now locate & secure it with shoulder-bolts (probably most cost effective method). you can machine off the lugs when finished with the part or saw-cut them off and polish the part.
    3.) similar to the first method i explained but instead of clamping the part on the second side, use a vacuum fixture, something we did alot of in the aerospace industry.
    regards.

aluminium job

hi

if you send me a drawing fo the component may be we can help you with a solution... without a drwing it is very difficut.

with regards

dhiruj sarda
    mob: +91 9346238113

HI,
    I agree with Denjo, I often use option 1 or option 3 depending on the size of the part and the machine I am using at the time. As a variation on option 1 I often make a purpose designed vice jig with a machined cavity that exactly fits the machined part, not an easy process sometimes but gives a great speed advantage when machining a good sized production run.
    Cheers
    Mick

thanks for the help Mick , Christy , denjo, and dhiruj.

i will upload the drawing by tonight so that you guys can get what i want to do.

thanks

Cool It's all in the Setup

I was milling a guitar body and wanted to mill on one side, and then the other without cutting air on the second process.

When you first import your geometry, I use the wizard and select a 4th axis positioning option, even though I have only a 3 axis machine. I will manually flip the part when the first side is machined.

In setup1, position your part where you want it.

Make a new setup (setup2) and rotate (transform) your geometry and flip it over. You now have two setups, one with the part facing up, and one with the part facing down.

In each setup, make all of your machinings how you want. Once you simulate you may notice your parts fliping repeatedly from one side to the other. No problem.

Just manually order all of the toolpaths to completely machine one side, before flipping to the other side.

Hope this helps.

Re: It's all in the Setup

Hi, tower!! I've been using CB for a while now, but recently wanted to "flip[" a part for better nesting. I know how to rotate a part in CB, but how would one "flip" a part? Thanks for your time. You can PM me if you'd like.
    John