587,236 active members*
3,694 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 3 of 3 123

Re: My Design Build( lots of pictures)

If they are close to the vertical ones and the same size- I had it set up to use a piece shape like an uppercase I, but only ended up using the straight vertical piece.

Another question. I see the lead screw bearing blocks are 2.4 inches but the motor mounts are 2.85. Everything in your photo looks flush. How does that work??
    Mine are larger. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140614_123832.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	80.2 KB 
ID:	240028

I used tapered head machine screws and countersink them.

Thanks for all the great info so far. I am just putting the Y and Z together now. But I was wondering about your bearing that the X axis sits in. You say they can move around so you can align things. Can you explain or let me know where you got them or if it was DIY etc..??? With the first router CNC I made it was a real bear to align the X axis rod so it would move smoothly. Thanks very much!!
    Andrew

Attachment 241456

The top piece the bearing is in has slots side to side. You can't see them, they are under the washers. The bottom piece has a big center hole. It is fastened to the board with the corner bolts. There is up and down slots that the screws go through that line up with the horizontal slots on the front piece. Basically its two pieces, with horizontal slots in one, vertical slots in the other, the slots are then stacked for full movements. And to align it all I did was run it to the end closes to the holder and tighten the bolts. It is mounted to a piece of aluminum. This is one thing I am going to change because my screw isn't long enough to get a set of nuts on the end. Right now my screw is free floating which is causing wiggling in the cutter. But every time I get time to fix it, I have stuff to cut.

Ok, I get it, thanks so much. I'll have to build one as well. That raises another question (I know)...but do you need to secure the screw on both side or just a clamp or nut on the inside up against the bearing??

Quote Originally Posted by Antennas View Post
    Ok, I get it, thanks so much. I'll have to build one as well. That raises another question (I know)...but do you need to secure the screw on both side or just a clamp or nut on the inside up against the bearing??
    I didn't do either yet. That is why I have wiggle in my x movement. I plan on turning mine around and putting a double nut on both sides, if there is room.

Page 3 of 3 123