587,362 active members*
3,644 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > PM-45 CNC Conversion (RF45)
Page 42 of 44 324041424344

Re: PM-45 CNC Conversion (RF45)

I would just order them a little long, then after your machine arrives and you configure how your going to mount the fixed ends of the screws, just cut them to length and turn the ends for the support bearing.

I agree.

jid2 is their anyway you could provide me with the lengths, diameter and pitch at least?

Quote Originally Posted by Techbuilder View Post
    I agree.

jid2 is their anyway you could provide me with the lengths, diameter and pitch at least?
    looking at this site the only axis that might be close is the Y. the X seems to have a longer travel compared to the PM-45 and the Z is a good inch longer. I stick by my original statement, you would be better served measuring the mill after it arrives. outside of that using DIY CNC: Build Your Own CNC, CNC Router, or 3D Printer would be a reasonable start for the diameters and pitches. but even that site recommends you do your due diligence before hand.

Quote Originally Posted by dracozny View Post
    looking at this site the only axis that might be close is the Y. the X seems to have a longer travel compared to the PM-45 and the Z is a good inch longer. I stick by my original statement, you would be better served measuring the mill after it arrives. outside of that using DIY CNC: Build Your Own CNC, CNC Router, or 3D Printer would be a reasonable start for the diameters and pitches. but even that site recommends you do your due diligence before hand.
    The PM-932 is actually 1/2" shorter if you read the travel length with power feed compared to the PM-45 which is more realistic when you add your stepper motor.
    Honestly dracozny what is your problem?
    I'm asking jid2 on his specifications and offered to pay for them and than you come over here and rudely answer a question that is not aimed toward you.

Quote Originally Posted by Techbuilder View Post
    The PM-932 is actually 1/2" shorter if you read the travel length with power feed compared to the PM-45 which is more realistic when you add your stepper motor.
    Honestly dracozny what is your problem?
    I'm asking jid2 on his specifications and offered to pay for them and than you come over here and rudely answer a question that is not aimed toward you.
    I was merely aiding in the conversation, it is an open forum after all. If you feel offended somehow that is your problem not mine.

Quote Originally Posted by dracozny View Post
    I was merely aiding in the conversation, it is an open forum after all. If you feel offended somehow that is your problem not mine.
    You were aiding to a conversation that was specified to a specific individual so common sense would generally come to mind for most people who have it.
    I'm not offended by you at all your just annoying

I think he was honestly just trying to help, I didn't read it as rude. I would hold off and measure it when it shows up. It would be a shame to botch it and find out once you already got them machined.

Washington state

Techbuilder,

Fist off, dracozny was replying to a post in an open thread. If you only want answers from jd2, a PM would be the best route. Dracozny is trying to help you and in my opinion you should heed his advice. Jd2 pretty much told you the same thing as well. These Chinese machines look the same but can come from different factories and measurements can be different. Unless you have the EXACT same machine and use the EXACT conversion design as jd2 you will likely need different machining dimensions on the screws. If you just want diameter and pitch, then read the thread. I have been following this thread since it started and I know that information is in here. Nobody here is doing anything but trying to help you, but in the end, if you want to pre-buy screws and possibly have to junk them because something is different then it is your money and your decision.

Also, the power feed travel specified by the manufacturer is not the dimension you want to look at if doing a cnc conversion. The stock power feed is not used and with the right cnc design you will be able to achieve the non-power feed travel.

I can post my drawing. The end treatments are specific to my bearing designs. This is very important on the fit of the Y axis. And my Z axis is actually too short, I can drive the nut off the screw. I measured first, but didn't 100% finish the design before I ordered my screws and it almost made me scrap the Z axis.

Have fun.

PM-45 CNC conversion built/run/sold.

I'm selling some TTS tools. The ER20 stuff is pretty much gone, but I still have 2 3/8" drill chucks, an ER20 floating tap holder and a slitting saw arbor.

If you are interested in any of that stuff send me a PM.

TTS stuff is all gone now.

In theory I've got some guys who have already come and looked at the machine who are going to come take it home this weekend...

Congrats on the sale! Hope it goes smooth! What's next the brother ??

Washington state

Not sure whats next besides a 5-7hp screw compressor and some organization and support equipment for a bigger machine. A Brother is the ideal scenario but I need to see what sales look like on some things to make sure demand looks strong enough.

Congrats on the machine sale, going to miss this thread, but it was quite crucial in my ultimate decision to learn from your experience and just skip this class of machine.. Lol.

Hope the product sales go well, wanna really see what you can do with a vmc. How's the one at work doing?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I'm not getting too excited until the machine is out of the garage. Brother at work is awesome, which makes me want one.

Exciting! Once that happens let us know. I'd love to see a new thread about the new toy.

Washington state

Quote Originally Posted by rlockwood View Post
    quite crucial in my ultimate decision to learn from your experience and just skip this class of machine.. Lol.
    Yeah, it's been the path I needed to follow to start out. But if you want to actually build product efficiently and cost competitively you need these things: tool changer, reliable tooling (no pull out), flood coolant, reliable control system, spindle with 10K or faster if you use small tools, ability to actually remove at a high MRR if you have larger parts. Having been able to use the machine at work I've learned that to build my more complex product with any chance at higher volumes you need a 20 tool magazine and the ability to get a 4th and a vise on the table. Otherwise you are doing tons of setup changes, or you need two machines.

If I didn't know how much time savings are available with the Brother (large tool mag and table size), I would just buy something used, like one of those Chevaliers and have no payments/risk. But I'm worried I would just out grow it within a year or so.

Loved the thread and videos also. At work we have 13 Haas mills and 4 Haas lathes. We build industrial equipment and these machines are running full time. I was once talking to the owner and he told me that the key is to decide when and when not to make parts. In house we only ever make one offs and customs that are under our direct control but once they get into volumes they are farmed out. In quantities it is often the case that we cannot even buy the material for the prices we get parts made. And we buy a ton of material so our pricing is very good. A lot of people think the industry is dead but we also use casting of parts then get final machining done. Anyway, the real money comes from the engineering and product development and not the making of the parts. At least that is what I see and this has gone from a 1 mil business to over 50 mil in the 14 years I have been here.

Well, machine is gone. Of course it was harder then expected as all things hobby cnc are. Had to put everything into a Ford Ranger.

Air 'em down and slide it in.

Pack it in.

Go buy screw compressor and other support tools. Got a touch over $10k for machine, compressor, tooling etc including the TTS I sold ahead of the machine.

Page 42 of 44 324041424344