587,215 active members*
3,870 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > Running multiple machines
Page 4 of 4 234
    Quote Originally Posted by lakeside
    THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG WITH SOMEONE WHO'S SITTING READING THE PAPER. YOU SHOULD TELL ALL OF THE WORKER, PAPERS AT BREAK TIME OR WE HAVE SOME PAPER WORK FOR YOU TO READ. AT THE TOP OF THE PAPER WORK SHOULD BE

"THIS IS A WARNING.............. "
    Lakeside you are being inconsistent: You became all fired up many posts back about the "do this or else" attitude which you say you will not accept, but your "THIS IS A WARNING......." is not that much different.

I just wanted to elaborate on my no bs policy. I don't give out bs and I don't expect to receive it either. I'm a very motivated person, and I've worked hard to get where I am. I'm here to get the job done. If there is a problem were going to solve it one way or the other. In a perfect world all the bs would be left at the door. I know it's not a perfect world, and I expect a certain ammount of bs. All I ask is for everyone to be professional. Telling your boss to stick it where the sun don't shine doesn't seem very professional to me. And it would really rub my feathers the wrong way. I don't have a human resource department to handle employee relations. I'm sorry if I seem like I don't care, but I have a lot of responsibility riding on my shoulders. I simply don't have time to have a soap opera going at work. My customers don't coddle me, and they sure don't tell me not to worry if I don't get my work done, they will stand behind me no matter what. And I don't expect them too. They pay their invoices and send me more orders. That's all the thanks and encourgemant I need. What I don't understand is why the double standard? Why do I have to coddle some employee? Isn't their paycheck and continued employment thanks enough? If someone goes above and beyond then they deserve credit. I have a guy that uses his own transportation to run errands for me and take back scrap. I always thank him and usually buy everyone lunch on scrap day. I've even given him cash bonuses a few times for running all over the place. If I was on occ or something than yeah, lets get the drama going. But unless discovery starts paying my bills, I don't think I'm going to change. Is that wrong?

lakeside, I do make mistakes, And it really sucks when I do. I'm still asking you to elaborate about me being dangerous. And please if you want to go to war with me how about keeping it in this thread so we don't interfere with the whole board. Can we do that please? For the most part everyone on the board seems like good people just looking for help with a problem or advise to get the most out of their job. Can we leave them in peace please?

waynehill, thanks for the link. I bought your bosses book, and the toyota book. Hopefully they will be helpful. I'm always on the hunt for some way to become more efficent/productive.

I can't belive how much of the day is gone. Oh well it's a wash now. Zippppp, the sound of me puttin on the flame suit. Hey lakeside what's your address I need somewhere to send an invoice for all my time you waisted. :boxing: Joke, Ha Ha. Seriously though I bet this is the most action the forum has had in a while. And no hard feelings to anyone. Including you lakeside.

Quote Originally Posted by REVCAM_Bob
    I would like to here what you guys have to say / suggest about
    one person running multiple machines.

We are looking for ways to train people how to get more done i.e. more
    spindle time.

Here is a typical problem we encounter: One guy running two machines
    Both machines are not running, in one machine is a large part that requires
    a 20 minute setup, and will then run for about an hour unattended. For the other machine we have lined up a series of 10 parts, each of which requires
    a 3 minute setup and have 10 minutes of run time. Which machines does he
    tackle first? or does he do both?
    REVCAM_Bob, Within the limitations of your example, I'd start the 3 minute setup and get it running and then go to the longer setup like already suggested.

But there are other long term solutions that might be better.

1. You only need to keep the spindles cutting if you have orders / backlog to support them. If your orders only require the machines to run 60% of the time, then other strategies come into play.

2. Get your setup times down. There are several good books available on SMED that explain the techniques needed to get all your setups under 10 minutes. If you need spindle time, more setup operators can help.

3. If spindle cutting time is your primary consideration, then you should have one man / one machine and as many people on the setups as practical.

4. If cost effective use of your labor force is more important, then you might want to have one operator run one machine and and have him do any manual secondary operations during the machine cycle time. Part clean up , inspection, deburring, packaging, etc. This will solve the infinite variables of running mulitple CNC machines. I feel this is a better approach in that the labor improvement is significant and the operator is only focusing on one part at a time, plus the pieces get through your factory faster.

Harley Davidson uses this techinque in their engine milling areas and is very effective on repetitive jobs. If your jobs are constantly changing then you can use the same techinques if you evaluate processes and arrange equipment by common steps. I don't mean put all the Bridgeports in a line like in alot of machine shops, but if alot of your parts follow a common routing then these processes should be put next to each other for a good parts flow.

Good luck
    Trent

Come on lakeside, you got me here in front of the computer. What are you working or something. How about telling your boss to go f**k yourself I've got someone to insult on cnczone Another quick tip You Only Capitilize All The Letters If It's A Title To A Book Or Something, Otherwise You Only Capitalize The First Word In A SENTANCE.

Edster You Are A Piece Of Work Grow Up

So does this mean I can go back to work now?

This thread has out-lived it's usefulness. Closed.

Lakeside, Edster, others... if you don't play nice, you won't play at all.
    Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Page 4 of 4 234