587,547 active members*
3,304 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

EMC on a smp machine

Does anyone have a smp kernel for emc? I have a p3 dual processor box I would like to use for emc.

Currently running Kubuntu 5.1 and EMC2 (loading now but will be 1 cpu)

Quote Originally Posted by randyf1965
    Does anyone have a smp kernel for emc? I have a p3 dual processor box I would like to use for emc.

Currently running Kubuntu 5.1 and EMC2 (loading now but will be 1 cpu)
    Can you use the BDI-4.28 install? it is Linux Debian installs automatically, with EMC1 and also installed a linux cadd program, everything ready to edit the INI file and run. I have it installed on a dual boot system now.

Joe

If you go to this site

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18195

You will find help on getting an easy way to put together EMC2/Ubuntu.

I don't know if it will work on Kubuntu straight out of the box, but you can try.

I followed the EMC2/Ubuntu website listed... But part of the install installs linux-image-2.6.12-magma (the RTLinux kernel) which is not smp and I have a working smp kernel installed on the machine... guess I figure out how to patch the magma kernel for smp OR patch the smp kernel for RTAI

Does the new BDI detect SMP and install an smp kernel?

I doubt it will install a smp kernel, but you may get lucky. I think it's only one setting in the kernel config file, and everything else is the same. It's been a while since I configured RTAI though.