Hi Richard, I have found a promica build thread that it similar to your CNC conversion. He only bought the hardware / motor from Mark and the controller is a Gecko G540. I was checking this type of controller at ebay and the cost to build is very minimal :-) ......and by the way, thanks for sharing :-) :-) :-)

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/bencht...-x3-build.html

Quote Originally Posted by swarfmeister View Post
My machine runs on a Gecko G540. I had my concerns with the custom controller - for just this reason so I did not purchase. Rest assured if your constroller fails it is very easy to convert it across and it will not cost a lot.

My machine has not/does not get a whole lot of use. I have been extreemly happy with it once setup. I have dual ball nuts and the rotary axis option.

It was a steep learning curve to get the machine running. One of the challenges has been that the X3 is not consistantly made, and I know Marc had to do many tweaks to make the kits fit - almost for every batch. The spindle is also a weak area. I needed to modify the drive ratio and replace the cheap chinese controller with a US made verson to get acceptable results.

Cheers
Richard