588,068 active members*
4,955 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Designing my next mill in solidworks.

Designing my next mill in solidworks.

Well, I am designing my next mill right now in solidworks. Its kind of a far fetched dream, but atleast I will have a design when I have access to the tools to make it. It will be a dovetail design for simplicity, and use preloaded rockford ballscrews. Here is the base, nut holder, and nut designed soo far. More to come! Its roughly 16in long, 12in wide.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails millbase.JPG  

Pretty cool stuff! Make sure you keep us all updated on the project, everybody loves pictures

Heres another rendering with the zslide starting to make out.
    According to solidworks, its already 250lbs!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails millbase2.JPG  

I think your Z-axis needs to stick out a little more or you will end up with 1.5" of Y area.

I modified the Z-axis, and added some bearings to the spindle, and added the internal spindle. I need to find some dimentions for an R-8 taper, so I can add that in. Anyone know where I can find it? Thanks - Zachery
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails millbase3.JPG  

Quote Originally Posted by radicooldude
    I modified the Z-axis, and added some bearings to the spindle, and added the internal spindle. I need to find some dimentions for an R-8 taper, so I can add that in. Anyone know where I can find it? Thanks - Zachery
    Hi

Very interesting project

Will you make it yourself ?

If so, what machines will you use ?

Although I cannot make the actual machine now, my plans are that this machine is capable of being made on a simple 2d cnc prototrak, bridgeport, or centriod. It may be possible to make on a manual with a dro, but I would say its easiest on a 2-axis cnc.

Thanks for the r-8 info. I will incorperate it into my plans. - Zachery

Hi Zack,
    For the sake of simplicity why don't you just get the spindle off of a brideport series one and incorporate it into your design? They have a R-8 taper and its a proven design. You can find them every now and then on E-bay (just the spindle).

This is supposed to be a benchtop mill, with travels around 24x12. Do you think a bridgeport spindle will be too big? I'd imagine with a quality lathe (A heavy one..no chinese 7x10) it would be easy to machine an R-8 spindle. Plus, is there any dimentions for a bridgeport spindle? I am trying to design the whole mill in solidworks.

If you want 12" in y-axis travel, you need the head to stick out to the center of the table in the center of its travel(the center of the spindle) so it can reach its max travel.

I think the base of your mill is a little beafy compared to the column and head. Slightly out of proportion

Jon

for your R8 spindle, check this thread out: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showth...5&page=6&pp=15

all about modifying the littlemachineshop R8 spindle box.
    FS: Complete Z-Axis Assembly with THK RSR15WM slide, leadscrew, stepper mount. PM for more info.

Here is an update. I built the saddle, leadscrew, leadscrew bearing block, and attached it all together.
    I notice a few problems:
    1) I need to beef up the Z-axis, as someoneelse metioned.
    2) Maybe mount the Y-axis nut to the saddle, and the bearing blocks to the base, that way my motors are stationary, and ballscrew can be supported at both ends.

BTW, ignore that red square on the base..that was just a cursor messup.

Input is welcome! -Zachery
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails millbase4.JPG  

Looks very nice, this gives you plenty Y travel.

Hi My solidworks Router...........what do u all think............
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cnc1.JPG