588,510 active members*
5,004 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Control Box

Hybrid View

Re: Control Box

Unfortunately I have found for the most part, most DIY CNC setups do not follow accepted industry practices when wiring, there is a certain format or method based on both NEC and NFPA79 recommendations. This would include proper fusing etc.
    This is further aggravated by the fact that most DIY systems are a combination of equipment from several sources.
    In the case of the PDF, there is no proper hardwired E-Stop, this would normally shut down power to all motorized are mechanically moving devices.
    Also bad practices are often the cause of spurious noise and intermittent shut downs etc.

My 2¢
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Re: Control Box

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    Unfortunately I have found for the most part, most DIY CNC setups do not follow accepted industry practices when wiring, there is a certain format or method based on both NEC and NFPA79 recommendations.
    This is certainly true and frankly I understand both sides of the fence. building your own machine can really crimp a budget, however a little extra time and money goes a long ways to making for a robust machine that is easy to service. Even money isn't a huge issue because a book of wire labeling numbers can be had fairly cheap.

This would include proper fusing etc.
    This is further aggravated by the fact that most DIY systems are a combination of equipment from several sources.
    In the case of the PDF, there is no proper hardwired E-Stop,
    I see a lot of DIY systems with no e-Stop It really isn't a good idea unless you have a main power switch that is as easy to operate. It is the one place where buying quality components is worthwhile in my opinion because an E-Stop circuit not working can be a very bad thing.
    this would normally shut down power to all motorized are mechanically moving devices.
    Also bad practices are often the cause of spurious noise and intermittent shut downs etc.

My 2¢
    Al.
    At best we can only encourage good practices. It isn't easy to debug over the net either, often find it frustrating.