588,495 active members*
4,972 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hybrid View

Re: Ripples in surface finish

Here's my theory on the ripples/gallops. I've spent a bit of time trying to figure this out with Mike Sr. All of our machines have natural backlash of .0007" - .0013" in X & Y that can't be adjusted out. So the cutter going in for the finish with that kind of play could be the cause. After balancing the fan, adding the power twist belt, adjusting the hell out of the machine I was able to get in closer for a finer finishing pass. This dramatically reduced the gallops, and couldn't be happier. At 7x here's what the finish looks like for straight passes, diagonal passes is another animal....

Tormach

Mori Seiki

What's your spindle speed, depth of cut and and your feed rate on your finish pass? Are you trying to do your finish cut at 5100 RPM?

If you're trying to make your finish cut at 5100 RPM, that's your problem. I learned a long tome ago to slow down the RPM and the feed rate for the finish cut and I have been getting some very nice work ever since.

Another factor could be the type of cutter you are using. If you're buying a cutter from an industrial supplier, then he's going to tell you that what he sells is the absolute best cutter on the market.

If you are using Monster end mills, I would bet money that's your problem. Those have to be the absolute worst cutters I have ever used, and I have been doing this for a LONG time.

I bought some Monster end milld a while back and they turned out to be the absolute worst end mills I have ever used. They would chatter at anything over 1,000 RPM. I mean at 1050 RPM, they provided a really piss poor finish.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Seebold View Post
    What's your spindle speed, depth of cut and and your feed rate on your finish pass? Are you trying to do your finish cut at 5100 RPM?

If you're trying to make your finish cut at 5100 RPM, that's your problem. I learned a long tome ago to slow down the RPM and the feed rate for the finish cut and I have been getting some very nice work ever since.

Another factor could be the type of cutter you are using. If you're buying a cutter from an industrial supplier, then he's going to tell you that what he sells is the absolute best cutter on the market.

If you are using Monster end mills, I would bet money that's your problem. Those have to be the absolute worst cutters I have ever used, and I have been doing this for a LONG time.

I bought some Monster end milld a while back and they turned out to be the absolute worst end mills I have ever used. They would chatter at anything over 1,000 RPM. I mean at 1050 RPM, they provided a really piss poor finish.
    Hilarious! The brand... Monster... Bad endmills you say? Possibly a LONG time ago? I have videos showing that Monster brand endmills beat ALMOST every endmill I've found (except accupro) in Titanium.

As for Furious G - Perfect, you found that backlash isn't an issue with your setup, but there are still other factors at play. It's not an end all, it's just one Solution to many issues. - Add them all up...

OR figure out all your issues, THEN add conventional as the LAST step. 40ipm finish pass on a tormach has me laughing though, no wonder it looks terrible. Try a 3 Flute endmill next time - you people and your 2 and 4 flute endmills keep me laughing when talking about aluminum. If the frequency is there, why would you "double" your frequency instead of kick it in the face with a 3 flute???

Also if you anodize and need it to look good, you should probably run it though some stainless media and not worry about your surface finish off the mill... Heck even a sand blaster..

I don't know everything, but have learned in the few years of doing what I do, what people like Steve have done in 50 years... Steve learned by HIS own mistakes, I have learned by YOUR mistakes. (of course my own too, but the internet has every answer you need, Steve didn't have that - so I will always wish to be like Steve, and have his wisdom)