587,913 active members*
3,818 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Gecko Drives > Help with controller wiring - Gecko 202's

Hybrid View

I'm by no means an expert at this, but in the last week I set up my control box for 3 completely different motors: 4 wire, 8 wire and 6 wire and I had no problems to speak of. It was basically a no-brainer. Kudo's to the gecko ppl for what looks like a great product!

I will say that I spent plenty of time making sure I knew exactly how everything was to be hooked up and why it was that way before the drives even got here.

I think you have wiring problems, but no one can say for sure without at least a wiring diagram.

I didn't have to dick with any pulse widths or such obscure configuration. If anything, the default config in TCNC was too conservative and slow. I could barely see the motors turn at first.

Gerry, exactly which pulse width are you telling him to change? The only two signals that figure here are step and direction. Direction is not really a pulse, but more of a toggled value, so you must mean the step signal. When the motor is moving this signal is a pulse train whose width is inversely proportional to the frequency. To make the pulse wider you slow the frequency.
    Steve
    DO SOMETHING, EVEN IF IT'S WRONG!

Quote Originally Posted by Madclicker
    When the motor is moving this signal is a pulse train whose width is inversely proportional to the frequency. To make the pulse wider you slow the frequency.
    I don't think this is correct, but someone else will need to back me up on this. Are you saying if you double the pulse width, you cut your speed in half? I don't think so.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Next idea?

Well I checked the settings in turbocnc and made sure I matched the settings of the X & Z axis to the working Y axis. Made no difference. Currently set with the accel at 250, pulse width at 10 fast jog at 15000

Checked to be sure I have 24 volts going into each gecko...I do.
    Checked to be sure I have 5V at pin 10 at each gecko.....I do.

Is there a way to check how much current is going to the motors? I am wondering if I have a short between the geckos and steppers or something.

Suggestions as to what to check next?

I had emailed Art at CNC4PC to get some input on the breakout board and minipower supply I am using and I feel I have that stuff wired correctly. Perhaps an email to Mariss will be next to see if he has any ideas.

Dan
    Check out what I am working on at www.routerbitz.com!

What did you do with the 5V supply ground?
    Steve
    DO SOMETHING, EVEN IF IT'S WRONG!

Nothing

I did nothing withe 5V ground. In my email with Art (CNC4PC) he stated that it is not needed. The Y axis works wonderfully like this, Can't understand why it would make a differrence on the other 2 axis. I have tried taking the Ground on this circuit to the ground on the BOB and made no difference.

Dan
    Check out what I am working on at www.routerbitz.com!