587,092 active members*
3,500 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Has anyone used ExpressPCB?

I've seen the ads for ExpressPCB for a while now, and wondering how good they are -- board quality and service. The prices seem too good to be true, for a hobbiest -- $51 for 3 double-sided boards, although without a soldermask or silkscreen.

Has anyone used them? What was your experience?

You have to use their software, which I can't say is a PLUS.
    Phil, Still too many interests, too many projects, and not enough time!!!!!!!!
    Vist my websites - http://pminmo.com & http://millpcbs.com

I started out knowing NOTHING about laying out a PCB.

Got the ExpressPCB software as a lark and started from ground zero.

Once I learned how to do the layouts and some idiosyncracies of the software, I laid out my first "mini-board" via the "looks good to me" method. I then read the directions.....

Worked like a champ when I started using the "if I were an electron, would I want to travel that path..." method.

Their service was FAST and as promised (2-3 days).

I then progressed to their ExpressSchematic. More idiosyncracies learned, dealt with but success followed shortly thereafter. Sure beats the heck out of pencil and paper...

Their software was EASIER to learn and FAR CHEAPER and much more SUCCESSFUL to use than a schematic/pcb program I bought several years back that was long since tossed (and it was pricey too).

The price to value ratio is hard, no, impossible to beat...

It is NOT a substitute for professional, high end software but a GODSEND for the hobbyist/small run project/prototypist....

I recommend it HIGHLY.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm squarely in the "novice" category for PCB layout, so ExpressPCB appeals to me if they deliver on their promises. I've done the FeCl etch thing many years ago and it was fun, but it's messy and a hassle. Cutting copper clad on a mill works, but without plated vias. Express PCB seems like a nice shortcut.

I have an idea for a product that I may do the PCB design for. If I end up using ExpressPCB, I'll post here about how it turns out.

Eagle at www.cadsoftusa.com if your going to invest your time is a much more sophisticated package. It includes an autorouter and some pretty extensive libraries and design rule checks.

Eagle

Not bad -- $49 for layout software including autoroute! 2 layers will be ok for my application, and at least for the first round, 100mm x 80mm will be good enough.

How good is the autoroute feature anyway?

Pretty darn good. I started with the free version, did everything I wanted to do. Then I started to see a few pcb's so I registered per their agreement. The free version and the entry paid version are the same. If yor just using it for hobby purposes, just download the free one. If it turns into more, then register and buy it. After using it for several years now, I must say it is a very capable piece of software. The only short coming is the documentation, although after a while it makes more sense. I am consistently learning new features and going wow....

Here is a breakout board I had Express make. I went ahead and had silkscreen and solder mask to give that pro look. Delivery was exactly as described.

Darek
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BOB01.jpg   BOB02.jpg  

I use cadsoft eagle as well (the freeware version) and have often made my own pcb's. (toner transfer)
    ---
    router finally being built!
    y axis done!
    hobbycnc controller done!
    ...mounting nsk rails and thk rail. aligning leadscrews

ExpressPCB is horrible

Stay Away!!! PROGRAM BUGGY!!! Had to use 4pcb.com. Lost my entire layout and design.

Found them on our preferred vendor list, and have since removed them from it.

You'll see there is nothing wrong with the scoring of the product.

But if you have any real questions or serious issues on the details of the program or confirmation about the physical aspects of the board stay away from these guys.

Wanted simple confirmation that the quoted min "height" of the board wasn't referring to the board thickness, it took 5 emails.

The program has a real issue with file sizes, you'll get a Run time Error 6 Overflow message or "out of stack space" on larger layouts.

Lost an entire design because of it.

Jessica the user support is pretty much useless if you have a problem.

No phone number to help work around the program bugs. No offer to check file integrity to help save the layout, management's response disingenuous. After informing them of the experience they simply asked if they could help with any other issues. Probably was Jessica or someone of the same mentality.

Bottom line simple program, horrible experience. God help you if you run into their programing bugs.

This topic was 5 years old! Did you just do a search, so that you could come here and complain?!

No not to " just" complain but to hopefully divert anyone doing a search about the product away from it so they can avoid the horrendous experience I just had with them.
    Threads are for sharing knowledge and experiences which is what I have done.

It's not even close to hate, that's totally sophomoric.
    I honestly don't think people should have the horrible experience or need to have the experience I just had, if someone does a search for an honest review, based on my recent experience I have done them service to stay away from this company.
    And if they don't, fine, at least after reading they will be prepared. Bottom line don't depend on this company for anything of real importance. Go somewhere else as I eventually did.
    And you don't have to point out my other posts on other sites about them, they all say the same basic thing, the product is buggy, the support is disingenuous and nonexistent.
    FYI I think there are like 5 or 6 other review sites I posted to as well, it's the point of such reviews. And if PCBexpress and staff aren't prepared for the blow-back, tough.... change.

This is not a review site, it is a discussion forum. If it wasn't a review, and instead a post to see if someone else has had this same experience, I would not have said anything. But with a post count of now 3 (all in this topic), to me it looked like you just logged in to do this (after searching for ExpressPCB on google). And with all these other topics you talk about, it sounds like you threw a temper tantrum, logged on to every site you could think of, and raged.

Low level tech doesn't always have the technical experience to deal with problems like this, and the only thing they can do is send it on to the correct people.

"And if PCBexpress and staff aren't prepared for the blow-back, tough"
    And what are they supposed to do about this? Have someone dig around for the crap that you are posting? And do what? I didn't really find anyone else doing the same thing...

With only one side of this, and only your word, I can't really see how this is so much help. For all I know, you were a nightmare to deal with. No offense intended, but thats how I see it.

"Probably was Jessica or someone of the same mentality." This comment only adds to it. To me that is really below the belt. Does not sound like a fair review.

PS. I have used ExpressPCB several years ago, and I found it quite useful. Thats why I clicked on this topic. And I can't really say that I have experienced anything bad when using it.

I have been using the free version of Eagle for about 5 years on and off, RS Components ( RS Components | Electronic and Electrical Components ) are now running a free product called DesignSpark, free to register and use, not tied to any board house either, no limitations on board size or layers and can import Cadsoft Eagle libraries, similar capabilities as Eagle ( autorouter, schematic capture etc ) but it is free, may be worth a look.
    David
    ( never stop learning )
    http://www.steamcastings.co.uk/

While searching the internet, I found this topic. I have been a loyal customer of ExpressPCB for 10 years. I highly recommend this service. The software is free and easy to use. They have tutorials available within the software and a very informative website. This company is US based and I appreciate that as a small business owner trying to make it here in the US as well. The boards are of great quality, especially for the price. What I do not appreciate, as a small business owner, is when other customers come on sites like this to vent about a company and it's staff, and go "below the belt" (like The Blight said) to the extent that it becomes personal (compton). How would you like it if one of your customers came on here and bashed you that way? Unfortunately, these forums have become so much about focusing on cathartic negativity directed at individuals and less about evaluating the product. Whatever your experience may have been with ExpressPCB and with support and Jessica, let me say that I have had a very positive experience (again, consistently for 10 years now). Jessica (mainly) has assisted me with my answers about software use, has helped me meet my very tight deadlines, and has aided in troubleshooting any issues I may have. Jessica in particular has been swift and professional in her approach, and I appreciate that. Highly recommended.