587,782 active members*
2,784 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Step2Linear

Hybrid View

Re: Step2Linear

The power supply needs plus and minus 14 volts so the 20 volt ac yields 28 volts DC with a centertap, which is +14 and -14.
    I say a 20 volt transformer because it will usually be about 22-23 volts AC unloaded which will still be below the absolute max which is 36 volts DC.

The boards don't produce any heat, so you can mount them anyway.

Also i include a programming cable with the order so you don't have to make one.

Larry
    Manufacturer of CNC routers and Viper Servo Drives
    www.LarkenCNC.com and www.Viperservo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Larken View Post
    The power supply needs plus and minus 14 volts so the 20 volt ac yields 28 volts DC with a centertap, which is +14 and -14.
    I say a 20 volt transformer because it will usually be about 22-23 volts AC unloaded which will still be below the absolute max which is 36 volts DC.

The boards don't produce any heat, so you can mount them anyway.

Also i include a programming cable with the order so you don't have to make one.

Larry
    Ah! Didn't equate Larry, HALF the 20V! Doh! (chair)
    I salvaged a +/-15VDC power supply from another control I plan to use, so I should be good there.
    Thanks for the cable, much appreciated.

Gathering parts now. Will take pics and keep everyone posted. I do have a few questions about connections to the Glentek servo amps. I'll post them here later on.

Thanks Larry, for putting these together and supporting them. Here is a link to pictures of the mill:
    https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/1...52313798869265

Ok, getting back to working on my control conversion.
    Question, my Glentek 7115-1 servo amplifiers, used the SIGNAL input and used COMMON for reference. I see Step2Linear wiring diagram has +REF OUTPUT and -REF OUTPUT.
    My Glentek servo amps also have a +DIFFERENTIAL SIGNAL INPUT and a -DIFFERENTIAL SIGNAL RETURN. The previous controller (Galil) used the SIGNAL INPUT.
    Which should I use Larry? (I believe I send you the .pdf of the manual)

Also:
    FAULT OUT is normally high and goes to ground when there is a fault?
    ENABLE OUT is normally high until STEP2LINEAR pulls it low when its ready? So I could tie it to the negative side of the coil of a smal +5VDC relay and feed the relay with 5VDC?

Where does the +5VDC supply for the encoders come from on STEP2LINEAR? From the +/-15VDC input or from a +5VDC input (external +5VDC power supply necessary?)

Lastly, I assume all inputs labled +5VDC are all tied together on the STEP2LINEAR board? Why is the +5VDC at the FAULT & ENABLE OUT Connector required?
    Thanks!
    Marty

By the way Larry, I will be using the newer AMT113 programmed 1000 resolution on my X&Y. Will be using the stock 1000 resolution encoder on Z that came on the Glentek servo motor. X&Y on my mill used Mitutoyo 102 glass scales and tachs on the servo motors.

Have you done any bench testing with the CUI AMT113 encoders?