587,762 active members*
3,349 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Gecko Drives > Help with controller wiring - Gecko 202's

Hybrid View

Thank you

Again folks, I truly appreciate your help.

Art, Thank you for the email and posting to this forum. Your continued support has been very good. To answer your questions see below.

1. I am using your mini power supply to power the BOB. I see that it is rated at 500 Miliamps

2. I am not sure what you mean by providing signals with at least 3VDC for a high signal. How do I measure this?

3. I have the mini power supply connected to the en pin and grd on the BOB board. I have checked it and it measures +5V at the connnection.

4. I have the jumpers set for output on pin 2-9.

Jerry,

I do not currently have any resistors installed. I removed them early in this sage just to get the motors to turn. I believe I had the wrong ones initially installed.

Thanks again to all. Your helpful nature has been a support for me to lean on during this frustrating period. I started this project back in OCT and can see it soooooooo close. 7 months and over 3 grand later. To say that I am anxious to see this run is and understatement.

Dan
    Check out what I am working on at www.routerbitz.com!

Quote Originally Posted by Hack
    I do not currently have any resistors installed. I removed them early in this sage just to get the motors to turn. I believe I had the wrong ones initially installed.

Thanks again to all. Your helpful nature has been a support for me to lean on during this frustrating period. I started this project back in OCT and can see it soooooooo close. 7 months and over 3 grand later. To say that I am anxious to see this run is and understatement.

Dan
    Dan,

The Gecko's cannot power the motors that you have with NO current limit resistors installed. The motors require about 3 or 4 times the current that is available from a drive without the resistors.

Jerry

Thank you Art

Art,

I appreciate the service you are providing and I look forward to seeing the new board.

Dan

Same Results

Well I recieved the neww BOB from Art and unfortunately it did not help the problem. I will gladly return the BOB if you would like Art. Drop me a line with a shipping address.

I have noticed something that may be an issue. I wired up only the Y axis with the new board and it ran better, but as I added the other 2 axis, I noticed a humming / buzzing noise coming from the motors and control box. More of a static type sound. I thought it was interference coming from the power supply in some way shape or form, but it wasn't as I changed it with another I had on hand. So I am thinking some sort of issue with the wires. As I moved the wiring around in the box, the buzzig would get worse / better depending on position.

Could this interference be causing the problems I am having? If so, how do I correct it?

Also, it was mentioned above that perhaps it could be a bad parallel cable, but I dismissed that idea as I use it for another machine with no problems. However, on this machine I am using a gender changer from the parallel cable to the BOB. Is this a possible concern?

Thanks all. Been another frustrating afternoon.

Dan