587,184 active members*
3,386 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: New to CNC

Page 2 of 2 12
    Well, 2 coats of shellac and 2 cans of rustoleum painter's touch spray paint later, most mdf parts are blue. I decided to ditch the aluminum channel idea (I have a very limited # of tools and don't feel like cutting pvc and delrin) so I went to ebay and purchased (2) 20.5" linear slides (2 blocks each) and a short wide slide for my z. (total $130 shipped) I also purchased a dremel holder from kustomkarts, cheapo couplers from enco, my bearings, and other misc. stuff. I plan to eventually purchase 1/2-10 acme and lovejoy couplers with dumpster nuts to replace the 1/4-20 on the rest of my machine. I'll probably be keeping the 1/4-20 on my z though, the travel is only ~3-4". Any suggestions are appreciated and I'll be sure to post pics as I make progress.
    ---
    router finally being built!
    y axis done!
    hobbycnc controller done!
    ...mounting nsk rails and thk rail. aligning leadscrews

here are pics of my idea for securing the nsk rails (20.5" for the x axis..still in the mail.) There is a milled flat in front that spans the entire distance. This will be secured to the mdf. I have cut smaller segments of 1" by 1" aluminum angle to go between the supports behind the flat. I will drill everything and put bolts all the way through once my rails arrive. ebay link to rails: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=7615076212

Next I will have to figure out how to mount the z axis http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=7614071355
    to the 4 blocks on the x. My progress will be very slow even if they do arrive before the weekend as I have my AP physics test on monday

Also, I still need to do a first coat on the inside of the supports and re-coat everything else.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails back.jpg   front.jpg  
    ---
    y axis done!

cnc build log

Well, I got the last shipment of parts a few days ago and I think I'll start with just one NSK rail for the x axis. This will only be temporary. I'll be using it to cut new gantry pieces out of mdf, at that point I can make a better gantry that will be able to support both. I also have a wide thk for the z, and a dremel holder. If I can scrape up the change for more nuts and bolts, this may be done in a few weeks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1.jpg   2.jpg   3.jpg  
    ---
    y axis done!

done! well..at least "cnc revision 1" is...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1.jpg   2.jpg   3.jpg   controller.jpg  

---
    y axis done!

done! well..at least "cnc revision 1" is...
    Congratulations on a job well done!

If you're sticking with MDF for "cnc revision 2", it goes much faster cutting parts with "cnc revision 1".

Keep up the good work,

HayTay
    HayTay

Don't be the one that stands in the way of your success!

Z-axis

Like the changes you made using the THK, How well does the z-axis move with the leadscrew behind the single linear rail. I recently purchased a similar rail for myself and was wondering if you had any advice or revisions as far as actuating movement of the z-axis.

If I remember correctly, the whole thing was fairly stable. I never had much time to use it since I'm at college now but I do remember wanting to make my gas pipe y axis more stable. For the wood/plastic routing I was doing , the z-axis was fine. You may not have such luck with a narrower thk however as this one was fairly wide.
    ---
    y axis done!

Page 2 of 2 12