587,118 active members*
2,801 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Gecko Drives > Nema 23 8 wire motor to Gecko drive

Nema 23 8 wire motor to Gecko drive

I am having a hard time understanding how to wire an 8 wire Nema 23 motor to a gecko drive. I am thinking from the wiring diagram that 4 wires from the motor will go back to each other and then 4 will go to the drive?? The color of wires coming out of the motor are:
    Black
    Red
    Blue
    Green
    Blue/white
    Green/White
    Red/White
    Black/White

Any help would be appreciated and if this has been discussed before I apologize.

thanks
    J

Re: Nema 23 8 wire motor to Gecko drive

It's always best to check the manufacturer's recommendations, if they exist, but here's what Vexta recommends.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	imageresizer.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	91.4 KB 
ID:	260658

Thank-you for replying. I did get the wiring diagram, but I am confused because the wire colors coming out of my motor are not the same colors listed on the spec sheet. I think I am making it more difficult then it is but I really don't want to mess up the motor.
    These are the colors I have coming out of my motor.

Black
    Red
    Blue
    Green
    Blue/white
    Green/White
    Red/White
    Black/White

Thanks
    J

Right.

Let's assume you will be using the bipolar parallel configuration, which is common.

You can use an ohmeter to sort the 8 wires into 4 pairs.

Then the next question is which two pairs are "A" vs. "B"? Perhaps the solid color wires are "A" and the mixed color wires are "B"?

You'll end up with 4 pairs of wires that connect to the Gecko's 4 output terminals, as shown in the diagram I posted.

If you can find your manufacturer's wiring recommendations, of course that would definitely be best.

Here's a diagram from Lin Engineering with colors similar to yours. However, I don't know if this is an industry standard color scheme or particular to their motor?

Attachment 260666

An ohmmeter will detect 4 pairs, but can't detect "A" vs. "B". The only way to be sure is to hear it from the motor manufacturer. :/

Yes I found the chart above also. I tried to wire based on this and I thought it looked promising. But it didn't work. Now I have another problem in that I can not bet my control box to turn on. It didn't quit right after I tried the motor. I was able to move the other 2 axis that I already had hooked up but then after some time I now do not get a green light in the back or a default red light. There is a small green light on inside the box and I looked at the board in the box and the fuse is still good. Any ideas?

thanks