Just as the title says. New WORKING design.

The switches feature
  • Digital Hall Effect Sensors (No Moving Parts!)
  • Dual LED Color (Red for Tripped, Green for ON State)
  • User Selectable Normally Open or Normally Closed Operation
  • Optically Isolated using an OptoMOS
  • +5V Operation

Here is a quick video of how they work. This video was done during the prototype phase.

You can see in the start of the video the green and red LED's. those are the LED's inside the switch itself. The blue LED represents the LED that is inside the optocoupler of the Breakout Board (BoB for short).

As you can see, the blue LED stays on steady. This is Normally Closed Mode (default operation of the switch). When the magnet gets close to the sensor, the switch activates and stops the supply of current to the optoMOS, thus, stopping the flow of current through the optoMOS and turning the blue LED off. That will make the BoB send a signal to the software to shut the machine down.

Towards the middle of the video, you can see that I plug a wire in and the blue LED turns off. This is Normally Open mode. The optoMOS only receives current when the sensor of the switch is tripped by the magnet, thus turning on the optoMOS and allowing current to flow through, turning on the blue LED.

Normally Closed mode is idea for machines, as it provides a safety feature in the event of switch malfunction, cut wire, or disconnect of the switch. This will shut the machine down in the event of a problem with the switch itself.

Because the switch has no moving parts, it has been proven to be more accurate than a mechanical switch. Repeatability has been reported to be better than 0.0005". These switches are very accurate when mounted correctly.

DISCLAIMER: Because these switches operate using a magnet, machines that cut Metals that have magnetic properties (i.e. Mild Steel), is not recommended to use this switch on. The metal will be attracted by the magnet, and creates a build up that will cause pre-mature triggers or false triggers. Metals that do not have any magnetic properties, or very very little (i.e. Aluminum, Brass, Copper, Stainless Steel), should be okay to use with these switches.

The switch has a 5 wire hook-up
  • Red (+5V)
  • Bare/Shield (GND)
  • Black (CNTRL for NO/NC, NC default if unconnected)
  • Green (to BoB)
  • White (to GND or to other switches in series)

Because of the built in optoMOS, these switches can be hooked up in parallel (Normally Open Operation) or in series (Normally Closed Operation) just like a regular mechanical switch, except for the CNTRL, PWR, and GND wires of course. But the actual function of these switches will be no different than a mechanical switch, except that there is dual color indication and much more accurate because the lack of moving mechanical parts.

Here is a picture of the finished product.

Attachment 263904

Because these switches are custom made to order, please allow up to 3 days to assembly, solder, cast in resin the switches. It takes some time for the resin to dry completely before shipping.

The Green LED can be substituted for Blue LED if so desired. Just select the option on the website before purchase. Wire length can also be selected before purchase.

Directions are included and downloadable from the website.

If you choose to use your own wire, you will need a 4 or 5 conductor wire with a minimum wire gauge of 28awg. Shielding should be braided, as this helps in the life of the wire for flexing and helps prevent the wire from kinking and causing possible shorts. If choosing your own wire, just select the smallest possible option for wire length. Please email me a note, and I will send some free solder wire and heat shrink tube to help in the splicing of the switches to your own wire.

Currently I am working on a kit that features a quick disconnect rear panel for up to 8 switches. This kit also includes a front panel LED indication as well for visual indication of switches tripped on the control box.

Please visit the website at x2df.com - Products for the CNC Hobbyist for more information.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact [email protected] or if after hours [email protected] .

Edit: NOW THRU MARCH FIRST!, All CNC Zone and CNC-Arena members get 10% off total order. Just enter the code CNCZone10 in the code box during checkout.

Attachment 263908