587,550 active members*
3,014 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Is vibration a concern?

Hello all. I've been lurking on this site for a while, absorbing all that I could as I decided the CNC path that was right for me. I'd like to say thanks to all of those out there that are willing to share there their experiences and "lessons learned". It's opened my eyes to a huge amount of information, alot I wouldn't have considered on my own.

I've decided to go the DIY route and I've purchased most of my material from CRP. It's seems to me that building and tweaking a machine is part of the fun... as frustrating as it must have been for some. It's the journey that's makes the destination so much more worth it.

My questions has to do with vibration while the machine is running. Has anyone found this to be an issue? What are some methods that have been used to combat it?

I plan on building a study table/cabinet for wood to support the machine. Complete with drawers and an area for the electronics. My thought was to use the rubber bungs (for lack of a better name) with threaded inserts in the mounting of the machine to the cabinet. Has anyone else tried this or found a better way? Or is it even a concern.

Thanks for advice, and I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Mike

Re: Is vibration a concern?

My machine is bolted using 90deg brackets to a 3/4" sheet of plywood that is bolted to a 2" steel square tube frame. I don't notice much vibration, but on the rapid accel/decels the whole machine almost rocks back and forth. Guess its a vibration of sorts, brought on by being placed on a plywood floor ( can feel the vibration 4-5' away). I haven't noticed any problems on the work piece because of it though, my theory is the whole machine including the clamped down work piece is moving so there should be no ill effect on the work piece.
    mass is your friend if you do end up having vibrations, My machine rocked allot more with the stand empty compared to having all the wood stock stacked on the bottom portion of the table.

That's makes sense. Thanks for the reply. It sounds like a rubber dampner (getting closer) may not be a good idea though. Seems to me it will increase the likely hood of the rocking back and forth with the big movements.

Thanks again,

Mike

Vibration should really not be an issue, unless something is wrong.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Appreciate the input. That makes it easier for me. Thanks again