588,567 active members*
4,380 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 2 12
    Damae,

Did you ever build a solution to this? I've moved my BPS1 on 3/8 round bar stock with the help of a pry bar to get it off the floor. It was not super easy, but with 1" bar it should go pretty well. I've seen Shizuoka's moved on 2" heavy pipe. When you get done pushing, pry it up a tiny bit and set it down on some hard wood slightly thicker than the rollers. And yes, you can turn.

best regards,
    Barry

Check out the machinery moving carriages at makeitsimple.com It's under Sections then Metalworking Projects & Equipment Reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry_ward
    Did you ever build a solution to this? ...
    My original design was overengineered quite a bit. ViperTX's link to makeitsimple.com shows a much more practical solution to the problem. At the end of their article, they credit the original design, which you can see at:

http://www.dogpatch.com/bobp/shop/mover.htm

Right now, I have an even less complicated way to get a mill rolling, something that the local riggers showed me. Esentially a set of skates made up of 8 bearings sitting on two 5/8" shafts, welded to a 1/4" steel plate. As simple as it gets!

When I get a chance to make up a set, I'll post the results here. I plan to make both the skates and a toe-jack modified from a standard harbor freight jack. Simple, cheap, and easy to store. =)

Quote Originally Posted by Geof
    Steel wheels? Use rubber wheels.
    That's a LOW RIDER Geoff!

Page down here until you find "Machinery Dollys":

http://www.thewarfields.com/MTWishListFutures.htm

I liked that design for this purpose. Build 2 of them.

Another thought, I wonder how well a smallish A-Frame Gantry Crane would work? They're awfully handy to have around and I keep hearing Bridgies want to be picked up by there errr, Bridge, because they're top heavy. You could build a small one pretty easily. There is one pictured moving a Bridgie on the same link.

Best,

BW

PS That page is all the stuff I'd love to build but will likely never get 'round to. (chair)

Page 2 of 2 12