588,063 active members*
5,093 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

BURNED OUT PIN on z axis driver

While trying to diagnose an X axis problem I am having I was cleaning out the controller box and checking all the pin connections. I managed to burn out the A+ pin in the picture. Anyone know if and how I could fix this without buying a new driver?Attachment 280890

Re: BURNED OUT PIN on z axis driver

Assuming that only the pin is damaged and not the driver itself, you could give it a little gentle file to remove the burrs, it still looks long enough to mate with the socket. Failing that, you could always cut the socket and carefully solder the wire back onto the pin. Lastly, you could replace the connector. If the driver is damaged, it would need repaired, at which point the connector would be replaced anyway. It really depends on how good your soldering skills are
    When it all goes wrong, own up and tell the boss it was someone else!

Hi pricklypunter

have had some practice replacing PCB components before ?

I expect you will be able to cut the connector off close to the connector , then de solder the pins one at a time from the PCB
    then using "solder sucker" clear the solder from the PCB - Desoldering Vacuum Pump "Solder Sucker" Solder Removal Tool - Capacitors - Amazon.com

need to measure the pitch of the pins to see if its 0.2" (5.08 mm) or 5 mm and check the number of pins

you can try ebay and check connectors like this 4 Pin 5.08mm Pitch PCB Universal Screw Terminal Block Connector Pluggable :-

10pcs 4 Pin 5.08mm Pitch PCB Universal Screw Terminal Block Connector Pluggable | eBay

as your in USA try digikey.com , mouser.com ,

don't forget to change the cable connector as well

john

Quote Originally Posted by pricklypunter View Post
    Assuming that only the pin is damaged and not the driver itself, you could give it a little gentle file to remove the burrs, it still looks long enough to mate with the socket. Failing that, you could always cut the socket and carefully solder the wire back onto the pin. Lastly, you could replace the connector. If the driver is damaged, it would need repaired, at which point the connector would be replaced anyway. It really depends on how good your soldering skills are
    Thanks. Is there any way for me to know best if the driver is damaged? Right now when I granite with the burned out 10 the z-axis motor would work in one direction only and only in small pulses, no continuous movement. I guess I'm hoping that once I fix this pen, assuming I can, that everything will be able to go back to normal.I don't really have soldering skills so I will probably try to file it down and reconnect it. We shall see.

@john-100

I am an Electronics Engineer, so yes I have experience at board level diagnostics and repair.

@daniel

What model driver is this? Is there anyone locally that could repair it for you?

Hi pricklypunter

I don't know why I addressed post 3 to you instead of danielcoyle !

must of had a senior moment and was not paying full attention when I posted my reply

john

Talking Re: BURNED OUT PIN on z axis driver

Quote Originally Posted by john-100 View Post
    Hi pricklypunter

I don't know why I addressed post 3 to you instead of danielcoyle !

must of had a senior moment and was not paying full attention when I posted my reply

john
    No worries bud, my excuse is usually coffee withdrawal

Thanks guys. I was able to get away with the primitive approach first recommended. I filed down the pin and replaced the connector clasp (female) for the pin and its working again. Really makes a big difference to have folks like you guys taking time out to help out.

Now I am back to the original problem that I broke the pin while trying to diagnose. Hopefully either of you can help here as I was excited to hear at least one of you is an electrical engineer!

I have had two pieces ruined mid run (maybe around 35 minutes in) when the machine x axis failed to follow the correct CAM movement dictated by the file. The machine cut directly across the middle of the piece rather than machining the ends. You can see in the picture the two destroyed pieces and a finished piece that I machined in between machining the other two.
    Attachment 280950
    This is totally black magic to me. the machine is a JCUT (chinese) with a DSP controller, dual 4.5kw water cooled spindles and upgraded (more powerful) step motors. The chinese, in chinglish, told me to look at the wires and replace them. I did not see anything wrong with the wires on quick inspection. Any ideas?

I take it that you have run various toolpath simulations and the part cuts fine?

Take some good quality, well lit and in focus close up photos of the inside of the machine control cabinet and post a link to them here.

Hi danial

have you had a close look at cable connector ?
    even if the pin is OK you will burn the pin if the socket in the cable connector is now a loose fit

what test equipment do you have ?

john

John, I think the problem he has pre-existed him burning the pin. I get the impression from his first post that he done that himself accidentally when cleaning out the connectors