587,719 active members*
4,214 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > SprutCAM > How to Make The Workpiece Work on SC9?

How to Make The Workpiece Work on SC9?

My common sense is not working here so I am hoping somebody can help me acquire the uncommon sense.

I am loading an IGS into the Workpiece folder in the model tab. My reasoning is that this way I can ensure my G54 is precisely where it needs to be and I can see whether I am going to mill over my vise or not.

However, the model inside of the workpiece truly doesn't help at all. Instead of being milled, it masks the process completely so whatever the passes are, remain invisible.

What am I doing wrong? Have tried all sorts of settings on the visibility modes, but the workpiece always wins. At the moment, it is seeming quite useless. Unless of course, I have completely misinterpreted what this feature is for...

Thanks for your help!
    I document my CNC Experience at CNC Dude's Youtube channel. Check it out!

Re: How to Make The Workpiece Work on SC9?

You can change the transparency of the work piece to something that you can see your actual part and the work piece around it. " click on work piece icon at top in lower right corner, this opens menu for setting visibility" I tend to draw a cage around the part that represents the material or work piece. Then you can set you ucs to any point on the cage exactly where you want it. I also import igs files to use as work piece, mainly on very irregular stock shapes or for projects where i'm milling operations on a existing part or shape and want to see results.

I had something similar happen in Sprut7, I wanted to see the machining result, normally the icons will set it up to do that, this time clicking the icon did no good whatever! I ended up saving the program, reloading sprut, reloaded the program and it worked as it should! I have problems like this occasionally with different functions in Sprut.......
    mike sr

I eventually found a combination which kind of gave me the results I needed. Don't even remember how I go there so chances are this will haunt me again in a near future. But at the end, it work marvelously. What I saw is precisely what happened and I was able to avert any crashes or accidents.

I am always super pleased with SC9 results. What ails my existence is getting there ;-)
    I document my CNC Experience at CNC Dude's Youtube channel. Check it out!