587,136 active members*
3,729 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > CNC Machine Related Electronics > Newbie - How to wire CNC & vacuum together?

Newbie - How to wire CNC & vacuum together?

I recently bought a three year old AXYZ 4008 CNC router with a vacuum pump and I'm just starting to learn how to set it up. I have a few basic questions.<br><br>The utility company just ran 3-phase (208v) power to my shop. My electrician will bring power to the router's main control panel and to the vacuum pump, but there is another smaller control box that looks like it gets mounted on the wall, and connected to it is a switch with a green and red button. I'm guessing that switch turns on and off the vacuum? Where does that control box go? I don't have a good wiring diagram to show my electrician how that control box fits into the system. Does it go between the power supply and the vacuum pump, or between the vacuum pump and the router, or between the router and the power supply?<br><br>In case it matters, my machine has the latest controller which is A2MC.<br><br>Thanks in advance. I have a lot to learn.<br>

Re: Newbie - How to wire CNC & vacuum together?

It sounds like you have a separate manual stop/start for the Vacuum which would probabally be fed off of a separate supply? Is it 3ph or 1ph pump?.
    What kind of spindle do you have?

If operated by a VFD, In some cases you can wire the vacuum pump up to come on by controlling the pump from a VFD output to come on at the same time.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

It sounds like you have a separate manual stop/start for the Vacuum which would probabally be fed off of a separate supply?
    That's what I would think. That's how it's been with all the machines I've used.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

It's a 3-phase vacuum pump (Busch Mink 7.5 horse). Spindle is 10 horse HSD.

What does VFD stand for?

VFD = Variable Frequency Drive for spindle.
    If it is 3ph I would suspect it will have a contactor if it has a Start/stop button, if so you can wire it to the VFD if you have one or even set it up for a programmed M code to pick up the output connected to the coil.
    Depends on you level of ability.
    Al.

Albert E.

At 7.5 horsepower it would require a magnetic starter with the proper overload heaters to protect the motor. Unless the motor is specifically designed for inverter duty running with a VFD is contraindicated. Since I do not have three phase in my shop I run a rotary phase converter to operate the vacuum pump. How to control it is up to the user. You have 3 options: Operate starter from button in CNC control panel, Keep totally separate and mount control near vacuum pump, Operate from output terminal on your CNC Controller if your controller has that capacity.

I think I'd prefer the option of "Keep totally separate and mount control near vacuum pump".

Now I need to know how all the wires connect. I realize that'd be hard to answer on a forum! I'll be calling the manufacture for help.

What I would be inclined to do is use an output on the VFD that picks up the Vacuum contactor when the Spindle/VFD is started, optionally inserted into the circuit a 3 pos switch for MAN OFF AUTO would chose the 3 operating conditions.
    And depending on the controller, I also use where possible the VFD up-to-speed output after a M3/M4 is issued, this prevents the cutter moving into the work before up to speed.
    Al.

Albert E.

I really would keep the spindle and vacuum pump separate. Basically 3-phase wiring is simple. Instead of 2 conductors as in single phase, you have 3. No ground is used other than the green wire which is bonded to the motor case and returns to the panel's bonding lug. Metal conduit can substitute for the green wire. Which of the 3 hots goes where on the motor is unimportant except that if the motor spins in the wrong direction swap 2 of the 3 wires. Keep in mind also that most 3-phase motors are also dual voltage and have 9 leads coming to the box on the side of the motor. There is usually a sticker on the motor that tells you how to attach those 9 wires to either high or low voltage. Some 3-phase motors have 12 leads. Basically a 3-phase motor has 3 poles that are 120 degrees apart. Single phase motors have 180 degree poles. A good resource is is "Ugly's Electrical Reference" book available from HomeDepot for 10.95.

You can control vacuum pump with M-codes in mach. M7 and M8 are for mist/flood coolant start. You can enter an M7 on your MDI screen to start the pump. Use mach's output to control a relay that is connected to the control voltage on your motor starter. Even using a single parallel cable you should have pins 1, 14, 16, and 17 to control VFD and M7/M8. If you bridge 2 motors for your gantry ends that frees up 2 more output pins.

Caution: If you are unsure about your 3-phase wiring get some professional help.

Bob