587,726 active members*
3,486 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Super-PID new low-cost router speed controller
Page 116 of 121 1666106114115116117118
Results 2,301 to 2,320 of 2415

Re: Super-PID new low-cost router speed controller

it`s funny when people try to knock back the more experienced boy`s they know what they say and only say when 100%

also in this thread I think its in this one I have a copy of it there`s a paper on how to connect common grounds High and low it says not to put them in the same star connection but side by side what`s including the CPU supply or computer if it powering anything or built in to the machine, but as it would be in the AC in a home shop anyway is not all ready attached to the AC in the shop power supply so if something goes wrong on the machine or in the shop supply where does the fault end its travel in the common ground. if it done properly the breaker will trip first as long as the rules for connecting machinery are followed it will be fine and is
    http://danielscnc.webs.com/

being disabled is not a hindrance it gives you attitude
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I have always adopted the commoning of power supplies rather than the isolation choice.
    It is also done by most Commercial CNC's and I have installed PC based control for some years, without any problems.
    As I have previously pointed out, many also chose opto isolation between PC and VFD/AC spindle on the misunderstanding they have galvanic isolation, where in fact both the AC (neutral) and the PC. P.S. are bonded to earth ground at some point.

Al.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Archambeault-Ground-Myth.pdf  
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

I guess that goes to show that there is more than one way to skin a ground, err, err, ah, return current path.
    airnocker
    Everything depends on everything else

When I first read through this thread, I came across post #1853 (http://www.cnczone.com/forums/spindl...ml#post1141046) where user j.steensen had modeled up the SuperPID (I think v1.0) in Solidworks. Unfortunately, he never provided a link or posted it to any website that I have found. Nor has anyone else put up a model of the SuperPID, detailed or otherwise. So I decided to make my own. I based it on both the dimensions from the instruction manual and physically measuring the SuperPID I actually purchased. It's not super detailed, as I simply didn't have time nor did I really care to model each and every resistor, fuse and pcb component. However, it is dimensionally accurate, and uses an LCD screen model I found and modified. As a bonus, if you're a Solidworks user, the actual assembly contains parts with routing points already in them, so you can use the Solidworks routing features to show wires in your enclosure.

Model is uploaded to GrabCAD: https://grabcad.com/library/superpid...d-controller-1

Head on over and download for free if you need an accurate model of the SuperPID. If you like the model then "Like" the model.

Attachment 291014

I need to control my router spindle; I am using a SuperPID v2; naturally it requires a digital signal enable, and a PWM signal to set the speed. As a bonus, I also would like to read the index pulse as a input.

Previously, I had the whole set up working under Mach3; controlling my 3-axis motors and SuperPID with the parallel port. I had speed control and On/Off functionality Everything was working until I decided to change the motion control to a Galil DMC1842; All my Gecko servo modules are set up as step/direction and are working fine. Adding the Galil board and Mach plugin for this board has worked beautifully so far. Being I have all 3 axis functions working fine and all inputs are working as expected, I wanted to tackle the SuperPID functions. I know I have a PWM output in my spare axis(W), but I don't understand how to tell Mach3 to use this PWM to control the spindle. Any help would be much appreciated!

Could anyone assist me in determining if a Galil card under Mach3 control can output a PWM signal in the 0-5VDC range?
    Thanks,
    Karl

Although I have used Galil in other systems I have built, I have not used the Galil board under Mach, but in my case I used one of the spare ±10vdc outputs from Galil to control a spindle, It should be configurable to use this to input directly to the SuperPID, albeit just 0 to +10v for one direction.
    Al.

Albert E.

I have a super pid that was running a Bosch colt. The router took a crap and I am looking for a new one. I have a $300 dollar budget. I would like the ability to use 1/2" shank bits. I only have 110 power available. Also don't want a water cooled spindle. My question is what routers are people running?

Hitachi, Bosch, Makita or Porter Cable 2-1/4 HP routers. Or Porter Cable 7518 if you want something bigger.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I use Bosch 1617 EVS with superpid. Make sure you pick a router brand that you can use precisebit collets for..

Quote Originally Posted by Devastator View Post
    I use Bosch 1617 EVS with superpid. Make sure you pick a router brand that you can use precisebit collets for..
    I use a Porter Cable 2 1/4hp router with my SuperPID.
    airnocker
    Everything depends on everything else

I'm using a porter cable 690 with my SPID. Also using precise bits with it. I'm happy with this set up, but then I'm only using 1/4" and 1/8" bits on my machine.

I'm hoping someone else has run across this before

I've been using my SPID for about a year with no issues, the other day I shut it down as usual, when I started it up the next day the router ran at full speed with no control.

Later when I shut the cnc down again, even after I turned it off, the router continued to run. I had to turn the router off with the switch on the router.

Using a Porter cable 690. The fuse is still good. The display shows "start failed" so there is power to the SPID

Turning the router by hand it shows 3 to all bars on the display.

If someone has some insight as to what the problem might be I would appreciate the help.

Sounds like the SCR (power control component) is shorted or the manual control switch has failed.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Hermie View Post
    I'm hoping someone else has run across this before

I've been using my SPID for about a year with no issues, the other day I shut it down as usual, when I started it up the next day the router ran at full speed with no control.

Later when I shut the cnc down again, even after I turned it off, the router continued to run. I had to turn the router off with the switch on the router.

Using a Porter cable 690. The fuse is still good. The display shows "start failed" so there is power to the SPID

Turning the router by hand it shows 3 to all bars on the display.

If someone has some insight as to what the problem might be I would appreciate the help.
    HI,
    The SuperPID runs on a TRIAC. These can fail open or shorted. Yours may have failed shorted. In other words, you will likely need to replace the TRIAC or the whole SuperPID.

Quote Originally Posted by alipavsky View Post
    HI,
    The SuperPID runs on a TRIAC. These can fail open or shorted. Yours may have failed shorted. In other words, you will likely need to replace the TRIAC or the whole SuperPID.
    This would be my prime suspect.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails triac.jpg  

Did you check the retro-reflective sensor?
    Al.

Albert E.

Thanks for the help. Looks like I'm going shopping for a triac.

I asked a bit ago what router people were using. I ended up going with the Hitachi M12VC and precision collet set. The Hitachi was extremely easy to set p with the superPID. I have been laid up so I have not cut anything yet, just turned it on to make sure it was working. Thank you all for your help.

Anyone have the part number of the retro-reflective sensor or the equivalent that was posted once?
    Al.

Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    Anyone have the part number of the retro-reflective sensor or the equivalent that was posted once?
    Al.
    Fairchild QRE1113
    www.signtorch.com

Page 116 of 121 1666106114115116117118