587,832 active members*
3,515 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
    Ronstar Guest

Newbie looking for cnc machine advice

Hello,

I'm a hobbyist woodworker looking to get a cnc machine to do some wood carving. Signs, cabinet door panels, boxes. I need a working area of about 12"x24". I just started researching cnc's so that I can can get the best one to fill my needs. I can go either with a complete system or kit. I very familiar with CAD, but not so much in electronics. Looking to spend no more than $5k. My initial search is turning up Bluechick on the kit side, and Shark and Shopbot Desktop on the complete machine side. I understand there are lots of variables, but I would appreciate advice in helping with my decision.

Re: Newbie looking for cnc machine advice

The unfortunate fact that people that are new to CNC don't know, is that there are not many small machines, or machines under $6000 or so, that are any good. Most are lightweight hobby machines, and are little more than toys.

Scratch the Bluechick - it's junk.

The Shark is not that good for what it costs.

The ShopBot Desktop is $1000 over your budget.

There are really only two machines that I would consider in your price range.

CNC Router Parts Benchtop or X Zero Raptor.

The Raptor is probably a better machine. (A friend of mine has two). There are quite a few threads on them here.
    CNC Router Parts probably has a little better support. A lot of people here use their larger machines.

The electronics are pretty simple on a small machine. You can get a kit with motors, drive and power supply for under $600.
    I'd recommend either a Gecko G540 system, or a Leadshine MX3660 System.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Have a look at Romaxxcncrouters.com

Made in Detroit. I've had two of them since 2007.

Don't forget to consider the cost of how you're going to convert Cad to gcode.

Sent from my SGH-T399N using Tapatalk

Ronstar Guest

Thanks guys! I've checked out your links. Far better than the options I was considering. Now to dig a little deeper. Hopefully getting a cnc in late March.

Jinan Qisheng CNC Equipments Co.,LTD is a very famous and powerful cnc router manufacturer in Jinan,I already have 5 machines from them in use.Every year,they provide me 45 machines,good working condition,better after sales service.
    If you need,I could introduce you a guy names Nick,he is a very good person.
    Thanks

I'd say the raptor is the best of the suggested machines.

Though the floating bed does have the issue of being able to flex. The z with a 280ozin motor on that screw will lift around 60kg and plunge with the same force. I've tested the same screw and motor config with 90x90 heavy profiles (double thickness walls than standard and twice the weight) unsupported between two points 30" apart and the plunge was able to flex the profile by 0.1mm in the center.
    Bearing in mind that profile theoretically has 5 times the amount of aluminum in it than the 4040 supplied in the raptor bed. So my concern would be a z crash could bend the supplied bed.

Having said that if one were to swap them out or ask the manufacturer to do a 4080 heavy weight profile version, I believe would eliminate the risk.